Question about the vector cross product in spherical or cylindrical coordinates

In summary: So we now have our cross product of two vectors, where it's basis vectors are a function of position and not constants. So what exactly is the significance of this?
dyn
Hi
If i calculate the vector product of a and b in cartesian coordinates i write it as a determinant with i , j , k in the top row. The 2nd row is the 3 components of a and the 3rd row is the components of b.
Does this work for sphericals or cylindricals eg . can i put er , eθ , eφ in the top row with the relevant components in the 2nd and 3rd rows ?
I know that for the formula for grad , div and curl in sphericals or cylindricals then scale factors appear but is the cross product of 2 vectors independent of scale factors ?
Thanks

Mathematics news on Phys.org
The simplest solution is to convert both vectors to cartesian, do the cross product and convert backup to spherical or cylindrical.

However, doing the cross product spherically or cylindrically directly boils down to find a vector that is perpendicular to both vectors following the right hand rule convention and recalling that the magnitude of the resultant vector is:

##\vec A \times \vec B = |A||B|sin(\theta)##

where ##\theta## is the angle between ##\vec A## and ##\vec B## and |A| and |B| are the magnitudes of the respective vectors ##\vec A## and ##\vec B##.

There is an old thread on it here:

https://www.physicsforums.com/threa...ame-way-i-do-in-cartesian-coordinates.772165/

A more detailed answer may be found here:

https://math.stackexchange.com/questions/1358590/cross-product-spherical-coordinates

dyn said:
Hi
If i calculate the vector product of a and b in cartesian coordinates i write it as a determinant with i , j , k in the top row. The 2nd row is the 3 components of a and the 3rd row is the components of b.
Does this work for sphericals or cylindricals eg . can i put er , eθ , eφ in the top row with the relevant components in the 2nd and 3rd rows ?
I know that for the formula for grad , div and curl in sphericals or cylindricals then scale factors appear but is the cross product of 2 vectors independent of scale factors ?
Thanks

THe determinant method works for any set of orthogonal unit basis vectors which form a right-handed triple, so if in your convention [itex]\mathbf{e}_r \times \mathbf{e}_\theta = \mathbf{e}_{\phi}[/itex] then [tex]
\mathbf{a} \times \mathbf{b} = \left| \begin{matrix}
\mathbf{e}_{r} & \mathbf{e}_{\theta} & \mathbf{e}_{\phi} \\
a_r & a_\theta & a_\phi \\
b_r & b_\theta & b_\phi
\end{matrix}\right|.[/tex] Curl doesn't work this way because in polar coordinates the basis vectors are functions of position and not constants.

Likes jedishrfu, Delta2 and dyn
Thank you

Since I've seen you post in some physics sections before, here is an excerpt on how to use the levi-cievta sign from notes i wrote years ago (since physicists love the following two ideas, it's worth getting use to it):

We will now introducte the Levi-Cievta symbol as follows: $$\epsilon_{ijk} = \begin{cases}
1 & 123, 312, 231 \\
-1 & 321, 132, 213 \\
0 & i=j=k
\end{cases} $$

Where the numbers represent the subscripts. So that means ##\epsilon_{123} = 1##. So how do you keep track of which is which? When I was younger, it was introduced to be a permutation, and a bunch of other nomenclature that I couldn't quite grasp until I was older. So I'll give you the secret I used! I simply start with 123, and then bump up the numbers to get 312, then again to get 231. Then, to get the -1, you just start with 321, and do the same. This is essentially what a permutation is, but when you're seeing all this for the first time, and a new symbol, even the simple things seem hard! So, how exactly does this relate to cross product? Well, let me throw out this equation (Note I am using Einstein summation): $$\vec{A} \times \vec{B} = \epsilon_{ijk}A^jB^k\hat{e_i}$$ Pretty obvious now, right? Okay, if it isn't obvious how they're related, don't worry! ##A^j## ##B^k## are the components of our vector, and ##\hat{e_i}##is our basis vector. Let's explicitly write out the sum to see if it will give us the same result as the cross product. \\

$$
\epsilon_{ijk}A^jB^k\hat{e_i} = $$
\begin{align*}
\epsilon_{111}A^1B^1\hat{e_1} + \epsilon_{112}A^1B^2\hat{e_1} + \epsilon_{113}A^1B^3\hat{e_1} + \\ \epsilon_{123}A^2B^3\hat{e_1} + \epsilon_{122}A^2B^2\hat{e_1} + \epsilon_{121}A^2B^1\hat{e_1} +\\
\epsilon_{131}A^3B^1\hat{e_1}+\epsilon_{132}A^3B^2\hat{e_1}+\epsilon_{133}A^3B^3\hat{e_1} +\\ \epsilon_{211}A^1B^1\hat{e_2}+ \epsilon_{212}A^1B^2\hat{e_2} + \epsilon_{213}A^1B^3\hat{e_2} + \\
\epsilon_{223}A^2B^3\hat{e_2} + \epsilon_{222}A^2B^2\hat{e_2} + \epsilon_{221}A^2B^1\hat{e_2} + \\
\epsilon_{231}A^3B^1\hat{e_2} + \epsilon_{232}A^3B^2\hat{e_2} + \epsilon_{233}A^3B^3\hat{e_2} +\\
\epsilon_{311}A^1B^1\hat{e_3} + \epsilon_{312}A^1B^2\hat{e_3} + \epsilon_{313}A^1B^3\hat{e_3} + \\
\epsilon_{323}A^2B^3\hat{e_3} + \epsilon_{322}A^2B^2\hat{e_3} + \epsilon_{321}A^2B^1\hat{e_3} +\\
\epsilon_{331}A^3B^1\hat{e_3} + \epsilon_{332}A^3B^2\hat{e_3} + \epsilon_{333}A^3B^3\hat{e_3}
\end{align*}

So, I know what you're thinking... 27 terms from such a simple line?! That's the power of the Einstein summation convention! However, I only wrote this out so you can get a feel for that power. In reality, we just use what the Levi-Civita symbol tells, that is any ##i=j=k## just go to zero, so our 27 equations zoom down to 6.
So we're left with
\begin{align*}
\epsilon_{ijk}A^jB^k\hat{e_i} =
\epsilon_{123}A^2B^3\hat{e_1} + \epsilon_{132}A^3B^2\hat{e_1} \\
\epsilon_{231}A^3B^1\hat{e_2} + \epsilon_{213}A^1B^3\hat{e_2} \\
\epsilon_{312}A^1B^2\hat{e_3} + \epsilon_{321}A^2B^1\hat{e_3}
\end{align*}
I've specifically put them in this order for a reason, we can now factor out the specific basis vector on each line and let's see what we get.
We now see that our equation becomes
\begin{align*}
\epsilon_{ijk}A^jB^k\hat{e_i} =
\hat{e_1}(A^2B^3 - A^3B^2) + \\
\hat{e_2}(A^3B^1 - A^1B^3)+ \\
\hat{e_3}(A^1B^2 - A^2B^1)
\end{align*}Which, as you can see, makes no mention of the particular coordinate system you're in. I do go into more details in my notes, but I think this is long enough for you to get the idea!

Likes dyn and jedishrfu
Nice tensor exposition! However, it may be overkill for the OP as Tensor Analysis is seldom taught until needed in grad school for either Differential Geometry or General Relativity.

1. What is the vector cross product in spherical coordinates?

The vector cross product in spherical coordinates is a mathematical operation that takes two vectors in three-dimensional space and produces a third vector that is perpendicular to both of the original vectors. It is commonly used in physics and engineering to calculate the direction and magnitude of forces and velocities.

2. How is the vector cross product calculated in spherical coordinates?

In spherical coordinates, the vector cross product can be calculated by using the determinant of a 3x3 matrix. The first row of the matrix consists of the unit vectors in the radial, azimuthal, and polar directions. The second row consists of the components of the first vector, and the third row consists of the components of the second vector. The resulting vector is the cross product of the two original vectors.

3. What are the advantages of using spherical coordinates for the vector cross product?

Spherical coordinates are advantageous for calculating the vector cross product because they are well-suited for describing objects with spherical symmetry, such as planets and stars. They also simplify certain calculations, such as finding the magnitude of the cross product, as they involve only basic trigonometric functions.

4. Can the vector cross product be calculated in cylindrical coordinates?

Yes, the vector cross product can also be calculated in cylindrical coordinates. The process is similar to that of spherical coordinates, but the unit vectors in the first row of the matrix are the unit vectors in the radial and azimuthal directions, and the components of the vectors in the second and third rows are the components in the radial and azimuthal directions, respectively.

5. What are some real-world applications of the vector cross product in spherical or cylindrical coordinates?

The vector cross product in spherical or cylindrical coordinates is used in various fields, such as physics, engineering, and computer graphics. Some common applications include calculating the angular momentum of rotating objects, determining the direction of magnetic forces, and creating 3D animations and simulations.