1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Vector perpendicular to two vectors

1. Sep 11, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A=(i+j-k) B=(2i-j+3k)
    Need to find vector perpenducilar to them

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I've solved by finding A*B and then divided it to (A*B), the result was W=2i/[itex]\sqrt{38}[/itex]-5j/[itex]\sqrt{38}[/itex]-3k/[itex]\sqrt{38}[/itex]. Is it correct?

Last edited: Sep 11, 2011
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 11, 2011 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

What do you mean by A*B? I know scalar product, dot product, and cross product of vectors but none of those use "*". And what is the difference between "A*B" and "(A*B)"? If you mean |A*B|, the length of the vector, I see no reason to divide. The problem did not ask for a unit vector.

4. Sep 11, 2011 #3
    I mean AxB, and (AxB) means length of AxB. Do mean that my answer is not correct?

5. Sep 11, 2011 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

No, I meant that I did not understand your answer. Yes, AxB is perpendicular to A and B and so satisfies the condition of the problem. And so AxB/|AxB| is a unit vector perpendicular to both A and B. But the problem did not ask for a unit vector.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook