Vector problem think i have it but just wanted to check

• Thread starter BeckyStar678
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Vector
In summary, a football player runs backward 10 yards from the line of scrimmage, then sideways parallel to the line of scrimmage for 15 yards, and finally throws a forward pass 50 yards perpendicular to the line of scrimmage. Using the Pythagorean theorem, the magnitude of the football's resultant displacement is 42.7 yards.
BeckyStar678

Homework Statement

in a game of football, a player takes the ball from the line of scrimmage, runs backward a distance of 10 yards, and then runs sideways parallel to the line of scrimmage for 15 yards. at this point, he throws a forward pass 50 yards straight downfield perpendicular to the line of scrimmage. what is the magnitude of the football's resultant displacement?

Homework Equations

a2+n2= c2

The Attempt at a Solution

I drew a diagram and got 402+152 and did that out to get the answer as 42.7 yards. did i do this right?

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, assuming the question means displacement fro the football's starting point.

42.7 yards is correct.

1. What is a vector problem?

A vector problem is a type of mathematical problem that involves the use of vectors, which are quantities that have both magnitude and direction. These problems often require the use of vector operations, such as addition, subtraction, and scalar multiplication.

2. How do I know if I have a vector problem?

If your problem involves quantities that have both magnitude and direction, such as velocity or force, then it is likely a vector problem. Additionally, if you are asked to perform operations on these quantities, it is a good indication that it is a vector problem.

3. What are some common techniques for solving vector problems?

Some common techniques for solving vector problems include using vector components, drawing vector diagrams, and using trigonometric functions. It is also important to understand vector operations and how to apply them.

4. Can you provide an example of a vector problem?

Sure, here is an example: A car travels 50 km east and then turns and travels 30 km north. What is the car's total displacement? This is a vector problem because it involves two different directions of motion (east and north) and we need to find the total displacement, which has both magnitude (distance) and direction.

5. What are some real-world applications of vector problems?

Vector problems have many real-world applications, particularly in physics and engineering. They are used to calculate forces, velocities, and accelerations in various systems. For example, vector problems can be used to determine the trajectory of a projectile, the forces acting on a bridge, or the velocity of a car on a curved road.