Vector Problems I've been stuck on them 4EVER

In summary, the problem involves finding the speed of a jet ski relative to the water while riding at an acute angle upstream on a river with a known speed. Using the Pythagorean Theorem and vector quantities, the y-component of the velocity can be found by subtracting the ground velocity from the hypotenuse and multiplying by the sine of the given angle. The result is 3.11 m/s.
redwood

Homework Statement

You are riding on a jet ski at an acute angle upstream on a river flowing with a speed of 2.8 m/s. If your velocity relative to the ground is 9.9 m/s at an angle of 26.0° upstream, what is the speed of the jet ski relative to the water?

Homework Equations

Pythagorean Theorem, A+B = C in a vector quantity...thats about it

The Attempt at a Solution

I set up a right triangle where 9.9 is the hypotenuse, -2.8 is the x component, and I am trying to find the Y component. I get the y component by subtracting 9.9 - 2.8 and multiply that value by sin(26). I get 3.11 as the answer.

Is this right?

Thank you sooooo much if you can help me I've been stuck on this problem for a very long time.

Physics news on Phys.org
som1 please help

First examine the:

9.9 m/s at an angle of 26.0° upstream

This is the velocity of the jet ski with respect to ground... what is the x-component of this... what is the y-component of this... (ignore the river for now)

1. What are vector problems?

Vector problems involve the use of vectors, which are mathematical quantities that have both magnitude and direction. These problems often require the use of vector addition, subtraction, and multiplication to solve.

2. How can I identify a vector problem?

Vector problems usually involve quantities that have both magnitude and direction, such as displacement, velocity, or force. They may also include diagrams with arrows representing vectors and require the use of trigonometry or geometry to solve.

3. Why are vector problems difficult?

Vector problems can be difficult because they require a strong understanding of vector concepts and mathematical skills. They also often involve multiple steps and may require the use of different formulas, making them more complex than other types of problems.

4. How can I improve at solving vector problems?

Practice is key when it comes to solving vector problems. Make sure to review vector concepts and formulas regularly, and try solving a variety of different vector problems to improve your skills.

5. Are there any helpful tips for solving vector problems?

One helpful tip is to always draw a diagram to visualize the problem and identify the given information and what needs to be solved. Also, break down the problem into smaller, more manageable steps and use the appropriate formulas and equations to solve each step.