1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Vector Problems I've been stuck on them 4EVER

1. Oct 15, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

You are riding on a jet ski at an acute angle upstream on a river flowing with a speed of 2.8 m/s. If your velocity relative to the ground is 9.9 m/s at an angle of 26.0° upstream, what is the speed of the jet ski relative to the water?

2. Relevant equations

Pythagorean Theorem, A+B = C in a vector quantity...thats about it

3. The attempt at a solution

I set up a right triangle where 9.9 is the hypotenuse, -2.8 is the x component, and im trying to find the Y component. I get the y component by subtracting 9.9 - 2.8 and multiply that value by sin(26). I get 3.11 as the answer.

Is this right?

Thank you sooooo much if you can help me I've been stuck on this problem for a very long time.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 15, 2007 #2
    som1 please help

4. Oct 15, 2007 #3

learningphysics

Homework Helper

First examine the:

9.9 m/s at an angle of 26.0° upstream

This is the velocity of the jet ski with respect to ground... what is the x-component of this... what is the y-component of this... (ignore the river for now)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?