Vector Question: Solved - Learn What to Look For

• Thread starter TS656577
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Vector
In summary, the conversation discusses the use of unit vectors and physical units in vectors. It is clarified that a unit vector is different from a physical unit, and that vectors can have physical units attached to them. The conversation also includes an example problem involving unit-vector notation.
TS656577
[SOLVED] Vector Question

Im doing my homework online because that's where it needs to be done. For answers with unit vector notation in them, I thought that vectors didnt have units. When I put them into the program and select these don't have units...they get marked wrong. Do they have units?

Physics news on Phys.org
A unit vector is different from a physical unit. Certainly a vector can have a physical unit attached to it. For instance a force is a vector quantity and as you may know, force is measured in units of Newtons (N).

There are two forces on the 1.38 kg box in the overhead view of Fig. 5-31 but only one is shown. For F1 = 18.4 N, a = 13.6 m/s2, and θ = 29.2°, find the second force (a) in unit-vector notation. So would the units for A be N??

By the way. I am not asking the problem to be done...I just need units

Related to Vector Question: Solved - Learn What to Look For

What is a vector?

A vector is a mathematical object that has both magnitude (size) and direction. It can be represented geometrically by an arrow, with the length of the arrow representing its magnitude and the direction of the arrow representing its direction.

What are some common applications of vectors?

Vectors have many applications in various fields such as physics, engineering, and computer graphics. Some common examples include representing forces and velocities in physics problems, defining motion in robotics, and creating 3D graphics in video games.

How do you add or subtract vectors?

To add or subtract vectors, you can use the head-to-tail method or the parallelogram method. In the head-to-tail method, you place the tail of one vector at the head of the other vector and draw a new vector from the tail of the first vector to the head of the second vector. In the parallelogram method, you draw both vectors from the same starting point and create a parallelogram. The diagonal of the parallelogram represents the result of the vector addition or subtraction.

What is the dot product and how is it calculated?

The dot product is a mathematical operation between two vectors that results in a scalar (a single number). It is calculated by multiplying the corresponding components of the two vectors and then adding them together. In other words, the dot product between vectors A and B is equal to A1*B1 + A2*B2 + ... + An*Bn.

Can vectors be multiplied?

Vectors can be multiplied by a scalar (a single number) to create a new vector. This operation is known as scalar multiplication. The resulting vector will have the same direction as the original vector, but its magnitude will be multiplied by the scalar. Vectors cannot be multiplied together in the same way as numbers.