Vectors are confusing me. I'm not sure if I'm doing it right

• Thread starter josh12399
  • Start date

Homework Statement

Charge q1 = +8.36 μC is fixed at the origin and charge q2 = -4.28μC is fixed on the +x-axis, 0.371m from the origin.

(a) Find the direction and magnitude of the electric field at a point P that has coordinates (0.466, 0.466) m.

(b) Find the direction and magnitude of the force on a -2.00 μC charge placed at the point P. (Please state the direction as an angle measured counterclockwise from the positive x-axis.)

Homework Equations

E = Kq/r^2

The Attempt at a Solution

Find θ1 = atan(0.466/0.466) = 45 degrees
θ2 = atan(0.466/0.095) = 78.48 degrees

I figured you just add the two vectors. For some reason I dont know how to... What is confusing me is that a can't use -4.28μC, for example, as the actual value. I think I need to use E=kq/r2 Here's what the diagram looks like

I really appreciate any help

EDIT:

I got the first part. It is attached
Would the second part just be F=Eq?

[/B]

Attachments

Last edited:

Answers and Replies

You should review this as its important.

Bascially convert the two vectors into components along the x and y axis and go from there.

You should review this as its important.

Bascially convert the two vectors into components along the x and y axis and go from there.
But what values should I be using?

SammyS
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member

Homework Statement

Charge q1 = +8.36 μC is fixed at the origin and charge q2 = -4.28μC is fixed on the +x-axis, 0.371m from the origin.

(a) Find the direction and magnitude of the electric field at a point P that has coordinates (0.466, 0.466) m.

(b) Find the direction and magnitude of the force on a -2.00 μC charge placed at the point P. (Please state the direction as an angle measured counterclockwise from the positive x-axis.)

Homework Equations

E = Kq/r^2

The Attempt at a Solution

Find θ1 = atan(0.466/0.466) = 45 degrees
θ2 = atan(0.466/0.095) = 78.48 degrees

I figured you just add the two vectors. For some reason I dont know how to... What is confusing me is that a can't use -4.28μC, for example, as the actual value. I think I need to use E=kq/r2 Here's what the diagram looks like

I really appreciate any help
[/B]
Hello josh12399 . Welcome to PF .

upload_2016-7-17_20-51-58.png

The resultant you have for E1 + E2 looks to be correct providing that you used correct magnitudes for E1 and E2. (You have placed the vectors in a rather unusual position relative to point P.)

What did you get for the magnitudes of E1 and E2 ?

Hello josh12399 . Welcome to PF .

View attachment 103390

The resultant you have for E1 + E2 looks to be correct providing that you used correct magnitudes for E1 and E2. (You have placed the vectors in a rather unusual position relative to point P.)

What did you get for the magnitudes of E1 and E2 ?
To be honest I have no idea what to use for the magnitude. I tried a bunch of different things and got totally different answers.

I thought of splitting them up into EX1, EY1, EX2 and EY2, but I don't know what the actual magnitude should be. Should it be (k*q*cosθ)/r2 for the x and (k*q*sinθ)/r2 for the y?

SammyS
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
To be honest I have no idea what to use for the magnitude. I tried a bunch of different things and got totally different answers.

I thought of splitting them up into EX1, EY1, EX2 and EY2, but I don't know what the actual magnitude should be. Should it be (k*q*cosθ)/r2 for the x and (k*q*sinθ)/r2 for the y?
Use the following:
E = Kq/r2
for the electric field (magnitude) due to each charge.

Use the following:

for the electric field (magnitude) due to each charge.
For each component (x and y)? Or should I just use the pythagorean theorem to find the diagonal distance from the charge to P?

SammyS
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
For each component (x and y)? Or should I just use the Pythagorean theorem to find the diagonal distance from the charge to P?
... just use the Pythagorean theorem to find the diagonal distance from the charge to P

... just use the Pythagorean theorem to find the diagonal distance from the charge to P
E1 = 1.730*105 N/C
E2 = -1.701*105 N/C

Now I take the X and Y components using sine and cosine?

SammyS
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
E1 = 1.730*105 N/C
E2 = -1.701*105 N/C

Now I take the X and Y components using sine and cosine?
Yes.