1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Vectors Problem (dealing with velocity)

1. Sep 16, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A passenger at the rear of a train traveling at 15 m/s relative to Earth throws a baseball with a speed of 17 m/s in the direction opposite the motion of the train. What is the velocity of the baseball relative to Earth as it leaves the thrower's hand? Answer in units of m/s.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    Vector of the train is going to the right (15 m/s).
    Vector of the person throwing the ball is going to the left (17 m/s).

Adding the vectors 15 - 17 would give you -2 m/s. I'm having trouble with assigning direction to vectors, so please let me know if I assigned them right in this problem. Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 16, 2010 #2
    you can use any reference system you want. for example, you could have said the train was moving at -15m/s and that the ball was thrown at 17 m/s or that the train was moving at 15 m/s at 30 degrees and the ball was thrown at 17m/s 210 degrees.

you'll always end up with the right answer as long as you assign your reference clearly. of course, you're expected to choose the most convenient/intuitive reference. it'd make no intuitive sense, for example, to assign in this problem the 30/210 degree reference.

so yeah, you seem to have done it right.

4. Sep 17, 2010 #3
    The sign in my last answer matter? Could you explain this in detail for me??

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook