Velocity->Force, concept problem

• Thread starter seaglespn
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Concept
In summary: When the body is moving in the opposite direction, then g and f act in opposite directions and the equation would be A= (-u*cos(alpha) + sin(alpha))/m.
seaglespn
Ok, so I have a problem in which an object is thrown tangentialy to a surface which makes 45o with the orizontal. So we know, that there is an MOMENT OF FORCE, an instant acceleration, which give the object the initial velocity : Vo.

The object is thrown in the upside direction(so is slowing down).

Now, we know the friction between the object and the surface (u=0.25).

The problem now is asking for the object's acceleration...

I am quite good at other kind of problems concerning Newton's Physics but this is blowing my mind :grumpy: , I don't know how to translate the initial velocity into a force, in order to do my basic rutine :).
Thx!

Physics news on Phys.org
Do NOT care about the acceleration period in which your object gained its initial velocity, due to the application of the force from your hand.
(You know way too little about that period).
Instead, focus on the period AFTER the force from your hand has stopped from being applied!

In particular:
What are now the forces acting upon the object?

Well , there is an inertial force (gained from the initial velocity), a friction force and a tangential gravitational force.

Mathematicaly there must be Fi - mg*sin(alpha) - u*mg*cos(alpha) = mA
But I have problems trying to visualise how Fi can be calculated.
Must be something like m*Ao , but I have bigger problems if I think like that because mA MUST be negative in order to slow down the object, and if m*Ao>Ff+Gtg then the object (in my , obviously erronated universe :) ) dosn't slow down, but it gains speed :(.

What the heck are you talking about??
Inertial force? From initial velocity?
No such force exists.

arildno said:
What the heck are you talking about??
Inertial force? From initial velocity?
No such force exists.

I must be wrong then , sorry .

I was thinking at that law of Newton which says :"objects in motion tend to remain in motion".

So what is it then? :smile:

seaglespn said:
I must be wrong then , sorry .

I was thinking at that law of Newton which says :"objects in motion tend to remain in motion".

So what is it then? :smile:
It doesn't say that:
Roughly it says that "an object NOT SUBJECTED TO EXTERNAL FORCES preserves its momentum". Inertial frames are those reference frames in which Newton's 1. law is valid.

So, your Fi doesn't exist; take care of the signs of your forces, the initial velocity won't appear in the expression for the initial acceleration.

Ok, then can be one single acceleration counted?
Like : mA - Ff - Gtg = 0?

If this (^^^) is correct then A=(Ff + Gtg)/m =>
A= (u*mg*cos(alpha) + mg*sin(alpha))/m => A = u*g*cos(alpha) + g*sin(alpha) => A= g(u*cos(alpha) + sin(alpha)).

Is this( ^^^ ) correct ? :smile:

Yes, this is correct but only when the body is moving uphill ( both g and f act in the same direction ).

1. What is the relationship between velocity and force?

Velocity and force are closely related as force is directly proportional to an object's velocity. This means that as the velocity of an object increases, the force required to move or stop it also increases.

2. How does velocity affect the amount of force needed to move an object?

The higher the velocity of an object, the more force is needed to move it. This is because the object has more momentum and therefore requires more force to change its direction or speed.

3. Can velocity affect the direction of force?

Yes, velocity can affect the direction of force. When an object is moving at a certain velocity, any force applied to it will cause it to change direction according to the direction of the force.

4. How do you calculate the force required to move an object at a given velocity?

To calculate the force required to move an object at a given velocity, you can use the formula F=ma, where F is force, m is mass, and a is acceleration. You can also use the formula F=mv/t, where m is mass, v is velocity, and t is time.

5. Is velocity the only factor that affects force?

No, velocity is not the only factor that affects force. Other factors such as mass, acceleration, and the type of surface the object is moving on can also impact the amount of force needed to move an object.