Velocity to land 1/4, 1/2, and around Earth

In summary, the teacher is trying to explain how Newton's cannonball thought process works and how it would need a very high velocity to land all the way around the Earth. He realizes that this is not something that can be easily demonstrated to his students and decides to simplify things by pretending that Earth is a long flat surface with a circumference of its distance which is 40,000,000 m. He then finds the velocity needed to land at a certain point on Earth using a mathematical formula.
supernova88
Member advised to use the provided formatting template when starting a new thread in a homework forum.
Hi, I'm actually a teacher presently undergoing gravitation and circular motion with my students, and ran into a problem I forgot how to think through. I'm trying to explain Newton's cannonball thought process (shoot a cannonball fast enough off a mountain and it will circle the earth), and determine the velocity v from a particular height. I completely understand the rationale behind v=sqrt(G x mass of Earth / radius), but my students aren't ready for that *yet*. Instead I wanted to simplify things and pretend Earth is a long flat surface (I know it isn't) where its circumference is its distance which is d = 40,000,000 m. We would then find the velocity to land 1/4, 1/2, and all the way "around" earth.

Assuming a mountain is 10 km or 10,000 m tall, freefall should take roughly 44.7 seconds if g ~10 m/s^2, and rounding up we get 50 s (yes I know I'm taking a lot of shortcuts but at this level it's necessary). Anyway, the obvious answer is that for a cannonball to fall 10 km and land 40,000,000 m away it would need to travel v = 40,000,000/50 = 800,000 m/s, which equals nearly 2 million mi/h. This is way bigger than the known orbital velocity of things like the space station which are around 17,000 mi/h.

Even traveling half way around Earth (20,000,000 m) the velocity is basically 1 million mi/h.

I did have some luck when instead I looked at a quarter of the distance around Earth and thought of it like a triangle, where the vertical leg (say, facing north) is Earth's radius plus the mountain, and the horizontal leg (east) is Earth's radius. The height the cannonball falls therefore 6,370 km + 10 km, and freefall takes 1128.7 s. Landing 6,370,000 m away to the east, it should go - approximately - 5,643.7 m/s = 20,317.2 km/h = 12,700 mi/h. This isn't quite 17,000 mi/h, but a step in the right direction.

Anyway, that's a long winded way of asking how I can simply demonstrate a cannonball's velocity to land 1/4, 1/2, and all the way around the earth.

Thanks so much in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
So I just realized the error in my thinking ... orbits don't take 50 seconds!

I'm still curious for some simple ways to find the velocity it takes to land 1/4, 1/2, and 1 whole circle around the Earth. Thanks.

Your ##g## is permanently pointing in the same direction.
real ##g## for an orbit [edit] a circular orbit is permanently pointing perpendicular to the trajectory.
Makes a difference !

THere should be a better way to bring in Newton's cannonball, but I can't oversee what resources there are available.

I wouldn't dream of misleading my students in the way you propose -- too much risk of confusing average students (and losing your credibility with the bright ones !).

But then again, I don't teach :rolleyes: .

Last edited:
Thanks, BvU, I'm starting to think I'm over reaching with this problem and, yes, making too many assumptions. However now I just want to know what the right answer is for myself. Thanks for the insight that g is tangential!

You might be better off to use numbers that the students can wrap their minds around. Start with a building 100 meters tall, and throw a baseball at 30 meters per second, while emphasizing that "we are ignoring air resistance". Calculate the distance and show with a sketch. Point out that this is roughly the velocity that a good pitcher can throw a baseball.

Then 1000 m/sec for a high velocity rifle for two cases: flat earth, and round earth. Show the trajectory on a diagram with both a flat and curved earth.

Then 7800 m/sec for a science fiction gun. Show the intersection with a flat earth, and how it never hits a round earth.

Likes BvU
If your class knows about centripetal acceleration, you can calculate for them the speed ##v## of a satellite at a grazing orbit around the Earth using ##a_C=g=v^2/R_E##, where ##R_{Earth}##. That should open the door to estimating the time to any point on the surface of the Earth assuming a circular trajectory of an object in free fall.

1. What is the definition of velocity?

Velocity is the rate of change of an object's position with respect to time. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction. In other words, velocity is the speed and direction at which an object is moving.

2. How is velocity calculated?

Velocity is calculated by dividing the change in an object's position by the change in time. This can be represented by the equation v = Δx/Δt, where v is velocity, Δx is the change in position, and Δt is the change in time.

3. What is the significance of landing at 1/4, 1/2, and around Earth?

Landing at 1/4, 1/2, and around Earth refers to the distance or altitude at which a spacecraft or object lands on Earth. This is important because it determines the amount of energy and velocity needed to successfully land and the conditions the object will experience during landing.

4. How does velocity affect landing on Earth?

Velocity plays a crucial role in landing on Earth. If an object has too much velocity, it may crash or bounce off the surface. If it has too little velocity, it may not have enough energy to overcome Earth's atmosphere and land safely. The velocity also affects the angle at which the object enters Earth's atmosphere, which can impact the landing trajectory.

5. What factors can affect the velocity needed to land on Earth?

The velocity needed to land on Earth can be influenced by various factors such as the weight and size of the object, the angle of entry into the atmosphere, the composition and density of the atmosphere, and any external forces acting on the object, such as gravity and air resistance. These factors must be carefully considered and calculated in order to determine the appropriate velocity for a successful landing.