1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Velocity Using Parametric Equations

1. Oct 12, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

An object moves in two dimensions according to the parametric equations x(t) = At^2 + Bt and y(t) = D cos(Et). The constants A, B, D, and E are A = 2 m/s^2, B = 3 m/s, D = 4 m, and E = 1 rad/s. What is the magnitude of the total velocity of the object at t = 3 s?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I'm not sure if I did this problem right. I plugged back in the constants

x(t) = 2 t^2 + 3 t
    y(t) = 4 cos(t)

dx/dt = 4 t + 3
    dy/dt = -4 sin(t)

dy/dx = dy/dt dt/dx = [-4 sin(t)]/[4 t + 3]

I thought that this was the velocity?

I then plugged in 3 for t and then plugged this into my calculator
    [-4 sin(3)]/(12+3) and got about - .038 m/s but sense it said magnitude only I ignored the negative sign and put .038 m/s

I have the feeling I did this problem wrong. This is for my physics 2 course and is suppose to be a introductory physics course after taking physics 1 (non calculus based) and this is just suppose to be like calculus I based but parametric equations is a calculus 2 topic (in most american schools) and I'm in calculus 2 at the moment and haven't covered the topic yet and only have a brief understanding of it so I'm not sure

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 12, 2011 #2
    What is the magnitude of the vector [itex]\vec{v}=[v_x,v_y][/itex]?
    Or, how do you evaluate the magnitude of a vector knowing its components?

And, [itex]\vec{v}=[v_x,v_y]=[\frac{dx}{dt},\frac{dy}{dt}][/itex]

4. Oct 12, 2011 #3
    Ah I thought so, so I plug in 3 into each of the derivatives square both of these values sum these squared values and then take the square root of the whole thing?

5. Oct 12, 2011 #4
    Yep
    [itex]|\vec{v}_{t=3}|=\sqrt{\left[\left.\frac{dx}{dt}\right|_{t=3}\right]^2+\left[\left.\frac{dy}{dt}\right|_{t=3}\right]^2}[/itex]

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook