1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Verical and Horizontal Circles

1. Oct 10, 2007 #1
    This is a general question and one that I cannot get an answer for.

What is the difference between the 2?

How do they alter how we approach to solve a problem for each type?

Answers kindly welcomed

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 10, 2007 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

There must be more to this question. A circle is a circle. Can you please be more specific in your question?

Welcome to the PF, BTW.

4. Oct 10, 2007 #3
    thanks for the welcome

this doesnt relate (as yet) to a specific mechanics/physics question - I have just come across the terminology whilst doing some reading and wasnt quite sure what they meant by vertical and horizontal circles.

I mean - a circle is a circle but what differntiates a vertical circle from a horizontal one?

5. Oct 10, 2007 #4

CompuChip

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The direction of your axes?

6. Oct 10, 2007 #5

berkeman

Yeah, that's all I can think of without more information. The equations for the two different circles will be different, if they are in the same coordinate system.

x^2 + y^2 = R^2 for horizontal, centered on the origin and parallel to the x/y plane.

y^2 + z^2 = R^2 for vertical, centered on the origin and parallel to the y/z plane.

7. Oct 10, 2007 #6
    thanks for that, that makes sense

just off to tackle a question dealing with this: regarding motion in a vertical circle

looks easy enough

8. Oct 10, 2007 #7

berkeman

Well, now, hold on there. You didn't say anything before about motion in a gravitational field for horizontal and vertical circular paths. There's a big difference between those, right? What would be different about the motion along horizontal and vertical circular paths in a gravitational field?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?