Verification of correct solution to quadratic problem

In summary: Is there a setting I need to change on my pc?I am not sure why the expressions are not appearing for you. It could be a compatibility issue with your device or browser. I suggest trying a different device or clearing your browser's cache. Alternatively, you could try viewing the expressions in a different browser or enabling a MathJax plugin if you are using one.
Mr Davis 97
The problem statement: Show that if ##r_1## and ##r_2## are the distinct real roots of ##x^2 + px + 8 = 0##, then ##r_1 + r_2 > 4 \sqrt{2}##.

We start by noting that ##r_1 r_2 = 8##. Using this relation, we'll find the minimum value of ##r_1 + r_2##. To minimize ##r_1 + r_2##, we need to minimize each term, thus we need to find the smallest values of both ##r_1## and ##r_2## such that ##r_1 r_2 = 8##. The obvious answer is that ##r_1 + r_2## is minimized when ##r_1, r_2 = 2 \sqrt{2}##, so that ##r_1 + r_2 = 2 \sqrt{2} + 2 \sqrt{2} = 4 \sqrt{2}## is the minimum value of the sum. However, we are under the condition that the roots are distinct, thus any other combination of roots would have to be greater than the minimum, showing that ##r_1 + r_2 > 4 \sqrt{2}##.

Does this correctly show what the problem wants? Is there a flaw in the argument, or a better way to make the argument?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Looks good except a little calculus would be in order. And i think it assumes p<0. Anyway let ## S=r_1+r_2=r_1+8/r_1 ##. Let ## dS/dr_1=0 ## ==>> ##1-8/r_1^2=0 ## so that ## r_1^2=8 ## and ## r_1=r_2=2 \sqrt{2} ##. (To show its a minimum ## d^2 S/dr_1^2=16/r_1^3>0 ## at ## r_1=2 \sqrt{2}) ##. Otherwise your solution looks good. I'm not sure how much formal calculus you may have, etc. , but in any case your solution is quite good. (Note: Assuming it factors ## (x-r_1)(x-r_2)=0 ## with ## r_1 ## and ## r_2>0 ##, this means p<0.)

I don't see why the minimum of ##r_1+r_2## has to be at a point where ##r_1=r_2##. Why can't there be a solution (minimum) at a point ##r_1-\epsilon## and ##r_2+\epsilon##?

(Charles beat me and has answered the question.)

Likes Charles Link
Well, it seemed intuitive to me that that value would be the minimum. Is it possible to show that ##4 \sqrt{2}## is the minimum without calculus (which I know a good bit of)? How could I make this proof without calculus in that case?

Mr Davis 97 said:
Well, it seemed intuitive to me that that value would be the minimum. Is it possible to show that ##4 \sqrt{2}## is the minimum without calculus (which I know a good bit of)? How could I make this proof without calculus in that case?
The function which you are finding the minimum, ## S=r_1+8/r_1 ## is non-trivial. If it were a quadratic, you could find the axis of symmetry. I do expect there is probably a way without calculus, but I don't know that there is an obvious one.

Charles Link said:
The function which you are finding the minimum, ## S=r_1+8/r_1 ## is non-trivial. If it were a quadratic, you could find the axis of symmetry. I do expect there is probably a way without calculus, but I don't know that there is an obvious one.
This is exactly my difficulty here. I'm sure there is an elegant argument anywhere to achieve it. But when your used to your toolbox, it's somehow like working with handcuffs.

Here is my shot at a non-calculus approach:

Since we know that we have two distinct real roots, the discriminant will be greater than 0. Thus ##\sqrt {p^2 - 32} > 0##, which means that ##p > 4 \sqrt{2}## or ## p < -4 \sqrt{2}##. Thus, since ##r_1 + r_2 = -p##, we have that ##r_1 + r_2 > 4 \sqrt{2}##.

How is that?

Likes mfb, fresh_42 and Charles Link
Mr Davis 97 said:

Since we know that we have two distinct real roots, the discriminant will be greater than 0. Thus ##\sqrt {p^2 - 32} > 0##, which means that ##p > 4 \sqrt{2}## and ## p < -4 \sqrt{2}##. Thus, since ##r_1 + r_2 = -p##, we have that ##r_1 + r_2 > 4 \sqrt{2}##.

How is that?
Fine. I only think this solution is so close to simply calculating the roots, that I wonder why you shouldn't do this in the first place.
And again beaten. But I agree on Charles' compliment. Well done.

Mr Davis 97 said:

Since we know that we have two distinct real roots, the discriminant will be greater than 0. Thus ##\sqrt {p^2 - 32} > 0##, which means that ##p > 4 \sqrt{2}## or ## p < -4 \sqrt{2}##. Thus, since ##r_1 + r_2 = -p##, we have that ##r_1 + r_2 > 4 \sqrt{2}##.

How is that?
It looks like the problem should read, prove ## |r_1+r_2| >= 4 \sqrt{2} ## with absolute value signs.

It is a standard result that, for positive x,y,c, the sum of x and y for a given x*y=c is minimal if x=y. But the solution with the determinant is nicer.

Just don't forget the negative roots for positive p.

Likes Charles Link
Thanks for the help. It always nice to see how two different proofs relate to the same problem.

Likes Charles Link
I am viewing this topic, but all of the expressions or equations are not appearing. NONE of them are displayed.

1. How do I know if my solution to a quadratic problem is correct?

To verify the correctness of a solution to a quadratic problem, you can use the quadratic formula: x = (-b ± √(b^2-4ac)) / 2a. Simply plug in the values of a, b, and c from your quadratic equation and solve for x. If the resulting value of x satisfies the original equation, then your solution is correct.

2. Can I use a graph to verify my solution to a quadratic problem?

Yes, you can use a graph to verify your solution to a quadratic problem. Graph the quadratic equation on a coordinate plane and plot the x-value of your solution. If the point lies on the curve of the graph, then your solution is correct.

3. Is there a way to check my solution to a quadratic problem without using the quadratic formula?

Yes, you can check your solution to a quadratic problem by factoring the equation. If your solution is correct, then the factored form of the equation should also be satisfied. You can also plug in the values of the solution into the original equation and see if it holds true.

4. What happens if my solution to a quadratic problem does not make sense?

If your solution to a quadratic problem does not make sense, it could mean that the problem has no real solutions. This can happen when the discriminant (b^2-4ac) of the quadratic formula is negative, indicating that the solutions are imaginary. In this case, you can still verify your solution by using complex numbers.

5. Can I have more than one solution to a quadratic problem?

Yes, a quadratic problem can have two solutions, known as the roots of the equation. These solutions can be found using the quadratic formula, factoring, or graphing methods. However, it is also possible for a quadratic problem to have only one solution or no real solutions at all.