1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Very basic: constant in gravity-model of trade

1. Oct 21, 2013 #1

Very basic: "constant" in gravity-model of trade

The gravity model of trade states that trade between countries depends on the size of their economies (bigger = more trade) and distance between them (larger = less trade).

The formula is: Trade = G ((Mi*Mj)/(Distance))

Mi is size of economy i, and Mj is size of economy j, and G is a "constant". I am seeing this term, "constant" used more and more in Economics. Can someone tell me what exactly it means, especially in a formula like this?

Last edited: Oct 21, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 21, 2013 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

hi 939! :smile:
    "constant" means that we use the same value of G in all cases

it doesn't matter which two countries it is, or how far apart they are …

the same formula always works, with the same value of G :wink:

4. Oct 21, 2013 #3

Thanks.

The only thing I don't get is why bother even putting G there? If there's two answers from the calculation, 3/2 and 1/2, they'll have the same ratio regardless of what constant G is, no?? In that sense you could just leave out the G all together :-/

5. Oct 21, 2013 #4

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

i don't understand :confused:

can you give an example?​

6. Oct 21, 2013 #5

Nugatory

Staff: Mentor

You can, but we might be interested in the numerical value of the trade instead of just how it compares with the trade between two other economies. Of course if I know the value of the trade between one pair of economies of known size and separation, I can use the ratios to work out the value for any other pair - but that's basically equivalent to calculating the value of G.

7. Oct 21, 2013 #6

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I think the author of this 'trade law' was a frustrated physicist. Now, he is trying to develop a new 'System of the World' by reformulating economics in terms of various laws like physics has.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook