Very Basic questions on bra-ket notation

In summary, the conversation discusses the application of bra-ket notation in quantum mechanics, specifically in regards to dimensions and the matrix representation of operators. The relationship between matrices and linear operators is explained and the concept of dimension in this context is discussed.
Alexis21
Hello,

i am a beginner in quantum mechanics and i have those basic questions on the bra-ket notation:

Which dimension has a ket [itex] | \phi >[/itex] describing a state normally? Maybe[itex] \quad C ^n[/itex]?

Which dimension has a bra-ket [itex] <\psi | \phi >[/itex]then? Maybe [itex] \quad C [/itex]?

How do you get the matrix representation of an operator in general? I have been reading something like this: [itex] <\phi_n |\hat{A}| \phi_m >[/itex]? I think i have to figure out then, how A works on phi_m but what to do next?

Thanks for helping

Physics news on Phys.org
See post #3 here for the relationship between matrices and linear operators. This old post explains bra-ket notation.

What do you mean by "dimension"? Do you mean in the sense of units? I have never seen a reason to assign them a unit, so I would consider them dimensionless. Note that [itex]|\langle\alpha|\beta\rangle|^2[/itex] must be dimensionless since it's supposed to be interpreted as a probability.

A vector or a scalar has no dimension, a space of vectors has. Yes, if phi_n is a set of vectors which form a basis in a (pre-)Hilbert space, then [itex] \langle \phi_n, A \phi_n\rangle [/itex] is a matrix element, a complex number.

1. What is bra-ket notation?

Bra-ket notation is a mathematical notation used in quantum mechanics to represent quantum states and operators. It consists of a bra, represented by < |, and a ket, represented by | >, with a symbol or expression in between.

2. How is bra-ket notation used in quantum mechanics?

In quantum mechanics, bra-ket notation is used to represent quantum states, which are vectors in a complex vector space, as well as operators, which are linear transformations on these vectors. It allows for a concise and elegant representation of these concepts, making calculations and equations more manageable.

3. What do the symbols in bra-ket notation represent?

The symbol < | represents the bra vector, which is the complex conjugate of a ket vector. The symbol | > represents the ket vector, which is a column vector containing the coefficients of a quantum state. The symbol in between represents the operator acting on the quantum state.

4. How is bra-ket notation different from traditional vector notation?

Bra-ket notation differs from traditional vector notation in a few ways. Firstly, it uses the symbols < | and | > instead of the traditional ( and ) symbols. Additionally, bra-ket notation represents complex numbers with the use of a bar over a number, whereas traditional vector notation uses a plus sign. Lastly, in bra-ket notation, the order of multiplication is reversed compared to traditional vector notation.

5. Can bra-ket notation be used for classical systems as well?

While bra-ket notation was initially developed for quantum mechanics, it can also be applied to classical systems. In this case, the vector space is a real vector space instead of a complex vector space. However, bra-ket notation is most commonly used in the context of quantum mechanics.