Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Very depressed: 3d tomographic reconstruction

1. May 31, 2013 #1
    So to get a better edge on our experiment my professor asked if I could take the pictures from cameras which are mounted at three different locations and use matlab to create a 3d picture. I have made no progress as I don't really even know matlab well. Is there any code or advice one can give?

2. jcsd
  3. May 31, 2013 #2

jedishrfu

Staff: Mentor

Welcome to PF.

Like all tough questions, someone somewhere has asked it before:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/13852643/3d-model-in-matlab [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  4. May 31, 2013 #3
    i knew there would be some giants who had some vacant shoulders

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  5. Jun 2, 2013 #4
    A nice short very applied chapter on reconstructing 3d images from 3 2d cameras.

http://www.dspguide.com/ch25/5.htm

Looking at amazon.com for that title turns up that book and what looks like lots of other closely related books that look fascinating.

Or Google

tomography fourier

and look for the simplest mathematica description of what is behind this. Then you can consider Matlab implementation.

I've thought for a long time that it would be possible to build hands-on interactive science museum demo that used light beams and semitransparent objects placed on a rotating table to let people really understand what was behind tomography. Someone should do that.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook