Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Very elementary notation question

1. Jul 18, 2009 #1
    Shankar p68-69 gives a mathematical "derivation" of the action of the X (position) operator, the summary of which is as follows:
    I followed the logic without a problem, since it only involves using the matrix elements of X in the basis of eigenfunctions of X. However, the next paragraph reads:
    Similarly, he writes, of the action of X in the K basis
    Now, to me

[tex]f(x) = \left\langle x | f \right\rangle[/tex]

and

[tex]g(k) = \left\langle k | g \right\rangle[/tex]

are scalars. Hence I cannot comprehend what is intended by Shankar's notation. Any insight?

Last edited: Jul 18, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 18, 2009 #2
    I am wondering if the next computation gives some insight: Shankar then computes the matrix elements of X in the K basis as:
    where, again, to me

[tex]\left\langle x|k\right\rangle \propto e^{ikx}[/tex]

and not

[tex]\left|k\right\rangle \propto e^{ikx}[/tex]

Last edited: Jul 18, 2009
  4. Jul 19, 2009 #3
    Inside the integral you have

[tex]e^{-ikx} x e^{ik'x}[/tex]

[tex]= e^{-ikx} \frac{1}i \frac{d}{dk'} e^{ik'x}[/tex]

which is what leads him to write that [tex]\textbf{X} \left| g(k) \right\rangle = \left|i\frac{dg(k)}{dk}\right\rangle[/tex].

The notation [tex]|f(x)\rangle[/tex] as the ket corresponding to f(x) (which he says near the top of pg. 69) is sloppy, but I don't think there is anything wrong with it. He's not saying that [tex]|k\rangle \propto e^{ikx}[/tex], he's just using it as a notation to express the ket that comes out of the operation [tex]X|f\rangle[/tex].

Last edited: Jul 19, 2009
  5. Jul 19, 2009 #4
    This is correct. To go from left to right, simply insert
    [tex]1=\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}\text{d}x\left|x\right\rangle\left\langle x\right|[/tex]

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook