1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

(very) nonstandard reduction potential

1. Apr 26, 2007 #1
    I have a question that I am familiar with, but there is no answer provided and about 1000 ways to make small mistakes. I was hoping someone could take a glance and see if any mistakes jump out. Any tips would really be appreciated.
    What is the reduction potential required for reducing the [tex]{VO}^{2+}[/tex] concentrations to [tex]{10}^{-6}[/tex] M at pH = 2 at room temperature in the presence of [tex]{10}^{-4}[/tex] M [tex]{V}^{3+}[/tex] ?

[tex]{VO}^{2+}+2{H}^{+}+{e}^{-}[/tex] -> [tex]{V}^3{+} + {H}_{2}O[/tex]

Relevant Equations

E={E}^{o}-\frac{RT}{nF}*\ln [\frac{{Products}^{sc}}{{Reactants}^{sc}}]
    R=8.314 VC
    F=96,500 C
    T = 298 K
    n= electrons transferred

Attempted Solution

E={0.34}-\frac{(8.314)(298)}{(1)(96500)}*\ln [\frac{{10}^{-4}}{({10}^{-5}){(.01)}^{2}}]

Which is a result of pH = 2 meaning that the H+ concentration is 0.01. I left out units because LaTex got too confusing with units involved. My answer from the above attempted solution is a reduction potential of -0.0147 V.

The question then asks what would happen to the above if NaOH was added to solution. I took this to mean that NaOH fully dissolved into Na+ and OH-, increasing pH. But the question asks if the reduction would be made easier or harder... I know that lower H+ concentrations mean a more negative reduction potential, but I'm not sure how that correlates to the easiness or difficulty of reduction.
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 27, 2007 #2
    I am not familiar with using natural log (ln), so I usually change it to log
    alnb = aln10logb

I wonder why in the natural log expression, the value for concentration of VO2+ is 10E-05 instead of 10E-06?

I think you wrote the wrong reaction:
    First, in VO2+ V is +6, in V3+, V is +3
    So you write VO2+ + 3e --> V3+
    Left reaction has O, while right does not, then you add H2O to the right.
    VO2+ + 3e ---> V3+ + H2O
    Then balance the O
    VO2+ + 3e ---> V3+ 2H2O
    Then add H+ to the right
    VO2+ 4H+ + 3e --> V3+ + 2H2O

Hope that will help you.
  4. Apr 28, 2007 #3
    It is 10^-6! That little typo caused me all kinds of headache. Also, your balanced half reaction is exactly how I would have done it too, but the one above was provided by my professor and is a valid half cell reaction. I'm not exactly sure why it is that way, but I double checked on ChemOffice and found the above reaction and also verified its standard energy of -0.337 V. I'll ask my professor why only 1 e- is involved when V is reduced by 3 and let you know what he says. Thanks for pointing out that typo, I probably would have never noticed it
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?