Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Very simple: second order derivative in wave equation

1. Dec 2, 2014 #1
    In the equation regarding an array of masses connected by springs in wikipedia the step from
    $$\frac {u(x+2h,t)-2u(x+h,t)+u(x,t)} { h^2}$$

To
    $$\frac {\partial ^2 u(x,t)}{\partial x^2}$$

By making ##h \to 0## is making me wonder how is it rigorously demonstrated. I mean:
    $$\frac {\partial ^2 u(x,t)}{\partial x^2} = \lim_{h\to 0} \frac {u_x(x+h,t)-u_x(x,t)} { h}$$
    But we have
    $$\lim_{h\to 0}\frac {u(x+2h,t)-2u(x+h,t)+u(x,t)} { h^2}=\lim_{h\to 0}\frac{\frac {u(x+2h)-u(x+h)}{h}-\frac {u(x+h)-u(x)}{h}}{h}$$
    How do we demonstrate that these two expressions are equal?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 3, 2014 #2
    By the way, I am using $$u_x(x,t) = \frac {\partial u} {\partial x}$$

I keep looking at it and it has to do with continuity, differentiability and properties of limits... but I cannot figure it out. Once again I would like to know the mathematical justification that states that doing the following is safe (I've get rid of the time dependency for simplicity):

$$\lim_{h\to 0}\frac{\frac {u(x+2h)-u(x+h)}{h}-\frac {u(x+h)-u(x)}{h}}{h} =
    \lim_{h\to 0}\frac{\lim_{d\to 0}\frac {u(x+h+d)-u(x+h)}{d}-\lim_{d\to 0}\frac {u(x+d)-u(x)}{d}}{h}$$

4. Dec 7, 2014 #3

Erland

Science Advisor

So, we assume that ##u(x)## is a twice continuously differentiable function in an interval ##I## which contains ##a##, and we want to prove that

##\lim_{h\to 0}\frac {u(a+2h)-2u(a+h)+u(a)}{h^2}=u''(a).##

Fix ##h## and put ##\phi(x)=u(x+h)-u(x)## for all ##x## such that both ##x## and ##x+h## lie in ##I##. Assuming that ##a+2h\in I##, we obtain, by the Mean Value Theorem:

##u(a+2h)-2u(a+h)+u(a)=\phi(a+h)-\phi(a)=\phi'(a+\theta h)h=(u'(a+\theta h +h) - u'(a+\theta h))h,##

for some ##\theta \in (0,1)##.

Then, you can use the Mean Value Theorem again and use that ##u''## is continuous at ##a## to obtain the desired result. I leave this as an exercise.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2014
  5. Dec 8, 2014 #4
    I see. Then, using the Mean Value Theorem again

##(a+2h)-2u(a+h)+u(a)=(u'(a+\theta h +h) - u'(a+\theta h))h = u''(a+\theta h + \lambda h) h^2##

for some ##\lambda \in (0,1)##, and using that ##u''(x)## is continuous,

##\lim_{h\to 0} \frac {u(a+2h)-2u(a+h)+u(a)}{h^2}=\lim_{h\to 0} u''(a+(\theta + \lambda) h) =u''(a) .##

Thank you very much!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook