Very strange situation advice please

• Thread starter alex caps
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Strange
In summary: Plus, there is a really high concentration of startups and tech companies in the area.In summary, based on the information provided, I think it is a good idea to consider transferring to Stanford if you are happy at UCLA. However, it is important to weigh the costs and benefits of the move before making a decision.
alex caps
I am a first year Materials Science & Engineering major at UCLA, and was recently offered (sort of) admittance into Stanford if I wanted to transfer. What do you guys think? Would this be a bad move? I have some of my own ideas but I would like to hear from you, thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
It all depends on your own objectives.

Are you happy at UCLA? If so, then I see no reason to pack up and possibly have to start over at a different university.

I would get the hell out of L.A and drive up to Palo Alto immediately!

Cuz,
1) Palo Alto is like dream city to live (especially compare to L.A)
2) Stanford is a better school (at least to my impression, I've visited both school)
3) It's at the heart of silicon valley. There are much more job/intern opportunity for engineers in general. Google, Apple, Cisco, SRI,...etc
And I personally know many of my friends from doing intern there.

While Stanford is [generally] a better school...
How much does UCLA cost? Stanford cost? Is cost an issue?
What are your grades like? Will credits transfer?
What does "sort of" mean?

Well, as far as costs go, I am out of state at UCLA and I think it is actually a little cheaper at Stanford. What are my grades like? - well that's the thing, I am the type of learner where I don't excel with my grades, but I excel in other places, i.e. have published papers, given talks at internation conferences, starting my own company... and I was recently up at Stanford and some people I am working with were telling me they might be able to get me in... So I am just toying with the idea, but these are people who are serious about this and I am trying to decide if it is worth it.

How can you not like UCLA with their undie run every semester??

On a more serious note from my perspective, there is much more to transferring than just academics. Consider your friends, family, and social life as well.

my son was incredibly happy at stanford. i think ucla is a terrific state school, but i suspect stanford is even a better school. and the percentage of good students is probably higher at stanford.

ucla is a bigger school, and LA is a bigger town. why don't you visit stanford and see if you like it there more than at UCLA.

i think it boils down to the difference between the lifestyles, in the short run anyway.

I think just based on aesthetics alone Stanford would be my school of choice (probably compared to most schools, too). I might be a bit biased because I am from the Bay Area, but Stanford is in one of the nicest and most scenic areas in the Bay Area.

1. What is considered a "very strange situation"?

A "very strange situation" is a subjective term that can refer to a wide range of scenarios. It could be a strange or unexpected event, a confusing or uncomfortable social interaction, or a unique and unfamiliar experience.

2. Why should I seek advice for a strange situation?

Seeking advice for a strange situation can help you gain a different perspective and potentially find a solution or way to navigate the situation. It can also provide emotional support and reassurance.

3. Who should I seek advice from?

The best person to seek advice from will depend on the specific situation. It could be a trusted friend or family member, a professional counselor, or a mentor with relevant expertise or experience.

4. How can I give advice to someone in a strange situation?

When giving advice to someone in a strange situation, it is important to listen actively, empathize, and offer practical solutions or support. Avoid being judgmental or dismissive of their experience.

5. What are some tips for handling a very strange situation?

Some tips for handling a very strange situation include staying calm and rational, seeking advice from trusted sources, and taking time to reflect on the situation. It can also be helpful to communicate openly and assertively, and to prioritize self-care and emotional well-being.