Haven't set foot in a classroom in 20 years -- Planning Advice Please

In summary, the individual is considering going back to college for a degree in engineering, specifically mechanical, after having pursued a BBA in finance. They are seeking advice for the upcoming entrance exam, which will test logical reasoning skills, mathematics, and physics/chemistry. They have found a recommended textbook, but are unsure how much of it to study and are concerned about the short amount of time before the exam date. They plan to reach out to friends and teachers for advice and are open to taking online courses to prepare for the exam.
Christopher Phillips
Hi all,

I'm seriously considering going back to college for a degree in engineering, specifically mechanical. I meet the aptitude tests, all of the interests, want to design and create, etc. I've definitely got the bug. I do DIY carpentry jobs on the side, I've got technical degrees in machine shop operation and an associate in mechanical design.

But sadly, I moved to NYC and the business/money life sucked me in and I went for a BBA in finance. But as many of you will probably point out, money doesn't buy happiness.

I'm throwing the towel in and going back to my roots that I never should have gotten away from.

I'm here because I need advice. There will likely be an entrance exam and I honestly don't know where to start or what plan of action would be most effecient. I've been doing refresher work at Khan academy and it is honestly quite good.

Any other recommendations or advice? Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Christopher Phillips said:
There will likely be an entrance exam
Has any syllabus been specified? Are the previous years' question papers available? I believe for mechanical engineering, tests are generally taken in physics and maths, though I am not very sure about what happens in the US.

Likes CWatters
Thanks for your reply. It says "logical reasoning skills and basic competence in mathematics and physics/chemistry". I would be attending a college in Finland and they've stated the level of questions would be based on Finnish high school education.

They've cited a couple books and I managed to find one in PDF. It's Principles of Physics, Halliday, Resnick and Walker, 9th edition. I'm looking through it and just wondering what I can take from this book that would qualify as high school questions. It's 1200+ pages and I don't think it would be strategic to try and study everything.

It says "logical reasoning skills and basic competence in mathematics and physics/chemistry"
I don't understand why colleges test students in chemistry. Most of the reactions that we study in high school are not used at any later stage, especially if it's a stream like mechanical engineering.
They've cited a couple books and I managed to find one in PDF. It's Principles of Physics, Halliday, Resnick and Walker, 9th edition. I'm looking through it and just wondering what I can take from this book that would qualify as high school questions. It's 1200+ pages and I don't think it would be strategic to try and study everything.
Resnick-Halliday is a standard book for high school physics. Do you have access to the previous year's papers? Then you could actually gauge which chapters they are putting stress on. Completing Resnick-Halliday in a short period is not at all a joke. How much time do you have at hand?

How much of Physics and maths do you remember from the last time you studied them? The answer should help you determine how much you have to study.

Wrichik Basu said:
Resnick-Halliday is a standard book for high school physics. Do you have access to the previous year's papers? Then you could actually gauge which chapters they are putting stress on. Completing Resnick-Halliday in a short period is not at all a joke. How much time do you have at hand?

How much of Physics and maths do you remember from the last time you studied them? The answer should help you determine how much you have to study.

Most of it is vague. I haven't had to use algebra since college so I feel a refresher there is needed as well. I would image the level of mathematics in their mind is at the Calculus level. Agree?

The earliest exam date would be Feb 11th which really puts a strain on my brain. The latest would be 13th of May. Unfortunately, if I'm invited to the exam, I don't get to choose which date I'll test on.

I have a couple of friends with kids in HS so I'll start asking around. Maybe there are even some teachers who could help with some advice.

And thank you for yours.

Most of it is vague. I haven't had to use algebra since college so I feel a refresher there is needed as well. I would image the level of mathematics in their mind is at the Calculus level. Agree?
Agreed.
The earliest exam date would be Feb 11th which really puts a strain on my brain. The latest would be 13th of May. Unfortunately, if I'm invited to the exam, I don't get to choose which date I'll test on.
Really short time. Other members here should be able to give you better advice. I haven't been exposed to such a condition, so I will back off. By the way, best of luck.

Likes Christopher Phillips
If I were you, I'd take a look at the material on the test, and then try to find a free online course or two that is a close match with the test.

You can't sit down and go through a 1200 page textbook in two months, and it's too much of a grind.

Try edX and Coursera.

A quick search on edX showed four self-paced courses for the US Advanced Placement Physics exams.

https://www.edx.org/course/?search_query=AP Physics&availability=Self-Paced

If you want a fairly quick way to see how much you still remember, try this. It will also get you in the right frame of mind for taking written exams.

These courses are probably easier than the entrance test, but you need to start somewhere.

I have no idea about how the Finnish tests compare to US tests. European students at US colleges told me that our first year college is about the same as their senior high school level, but that was decades ago, so I'm out of date.

Doesn't the Finnish high school system have official books for each course that the students take with them to school? If so, I'd focus solely on studying those because it's probably all that you will need to know, and it shouldn't be too hard learning from them. I really doubt high school kids would be required to study a 1200 page book, that must've been in the recommendations because they're required to know a few subjects that it includes.

ensign_nemo said:
If I were you, I'd take a look at the material on the test, and then try to find a free online course or two that is a close match with the test.

If you want a fairly quick way to see how much you still remember, try this. It will also get you in the right frame of mind for taking written exams.

Great advice, thank you!

ZeGato said:
Doesn't the Finnish high school system have official books for each course that the students take with them to school? If so, I'd focus solely on studying those because it's probably all that you will need to know, and it shouldn't be too hard learning from them.

I really doubt high school kids would be required to study a 1200 page book, that must've been in the recommendations because they're required to know a few subjects that it includes.

The entrance exam notes did say the book will be used more for study later so I'd imagine the testing material is cherry picked. But as you've suggested, that is an excellent way to see what the material is all about. Thank you!

If you need additional resources for math, take a look at PatrickJMT and Krista King on YouTube. They do short, to-the-point videos and they're very useful. Regarding the mathematics, they'll very likely test you on subjects up to differential calculus (i.e., "College Algebra/Algebra II" and Trigonometry) so you can take differential calculus your first semester. If you want to get your degree done in four years (at my university), you need to start your first semester off with Calc I.

For your chemistry and physics, go look at "The Organic Chemistry Tutor" on YouTube. Like Khan, PatrickJMT, and Krista King, he does short, precise videos on a lot of subjects. He was helpful for me in chemistry and physics.

Between Khan, PatrickJMT, and the Organic Chemistry Tutor, you should have enough "tutors" to help you get a good grasp on things. They're fine for your first exposure to the subjects. If you've seen the material before, then that'll only help. If you could sit in February, then I'd sit your ass down and start studying like a mad man. The key is to pound out problem sets-- in ALL THREE subjects: Math, physics, and chemistry (and you have numerous subjects within each of those fields themselves). If you go into this exam without having laid some pencil to paper, then you won't be feeling to well after the exam is finished.

If you can identify the material on the exam, then maybe you can cherry pick the videos you watch too. It's not realistic to expect yourself to learn algebra, trig, basic kinematics, Newton's Laws, conservation of energy and momentum, atoms and molecules and ions, periodic table, redox reactions... (you get the point) in just a few short months. You'll get a proper treatment of all of those in your first semesters of physics and chemistry anyway, but they want to see where you are at so they can assess whether or not you'd be a good fit for their program.

Obviously, they're not expecting you to fling off your cape, throw your three-cornered hat to the lad at the desk, and morph into some reincarnated form of Newton and Avogadro.. Though, if you can channel your inner Newton, that'd probably help :)

Sorry for the long response.

Augustine Ivon said:
Sorry for the long response.

Wow! Don't you be sorry for that! Thank you so much! I'm relieved to hear about the math. I've been working through some examples (putting pencil to paper) and it seems like my starting point in Alg 1. So I've certainly got my work cut out for me. But I love the challenge. Again, thank you very much!

I managed to get my hands on more updated information regarding the exam. For starters, the sitting date will be in April. That's a huge relief for my study efforts.

And they gave me a more detailed list of possible subjects to take a look at:Mathematical Content

Real numbers ,Numerical calculation, Equations, System of equations, Elementary functions, Percentage, Geometry, Analytic geometry, Basics of set theory, Basics of probability

Physics content

Force and motion, Work and energy, Heat and thermodynamics, Properties of fluids, Electric charges, Resistance and simple resistor circuits, Geometrical optics.

Chemical content

Structure of atoms, Elements, Simple inorganic and organic compounds, Stoichiometry, Reactions, Reaction equations, Properties of gases, liquids and mixtures, Solutions, Concentration, Strong acids and bases, pH and neutralization, Oxidation and reduction.It doesn't look like even pre-calculus will be tested. Would you agree? I find that slightly discomforting because this is an engineering course. Would you say my plan should be hope for the best (less math intensive), plan for the worst (study calculus anyway)?

1. What are the benefits of not setting foot in a classroom for 20 years?

The benefits of not being in a classroom for 20 years can vary depending on the individual's situation. Some potential benefits include gaining real-world experience, developing self-motivation and time management skills, and avoiding the cost of traditional education. However, it is important to keep in mind that these benefits may not apply to everyone and that there may also be drawbacks to not being in a classroom for an extended period of time.

2. How can I stay up-to-date with current knowledge and advancements without being in a classroom?

There are many ways to stay informed and up-to-date without being in a classroom. Some options include attending conferences and workshops, networking with other professionals in your field, reading industry publications and journals, and taking online courses or webinars. It is also important to actively seek out opportunities for hands-on experience and to continuously challenge yourself to learn and grow.

3. Will my lack of classroom experience hinder my career or job prospects?

It is possible that not having recent classroom experience could affect your career or job prospects, especially if you are seeking a position in a field that requires specific technical knowledge or certifications. However, many employers value real-world experience and skills, so it is important to highlight these on your resume and during interviews. Additionally, taking online courses or obtaining certifications can help demonstrate your commitment to continuous learning.

4. What advice do you have for someone who hasn't been in a classroom for a long time and is considering going back to school?

If you are considering going back to school after an extended period of time, it is important to carefully consider your goals and motivations for doing so. Research different educational options and programs to find one that aligns with your career goals and personal commitments. It may also be helpful to reach out to academic advisors or professionals in your field for guidance and advice.

5. How can I make the most of my time in the classroom after being away for so long?

To make the most of your time back in the classroom, it is important to be proactive and engaged in your learning. Take advantage of opportunities to participate in class discussions and group projects, ask questions, and seek help when needed. It may also be helpful to establish a study schedule and set specific goals for yourself to stay on track and make the most of your education.