1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Very vague question about projectile launch angle

1. Jan 26, 2006 #1
    The launching speed of a certain projectile is 5.2 times the speed it has at maximum height. What is the elevation angle at launching?

Could someone just give me a starting point or a hint in the right direction?

I know that the horizontal velocity doesn't decrease, and the vertical velocity is 0 at the maximum height. I can't put it together though; it seems like there isn't enough information given. How can you possibly tell by how much of a factor the speed is being affected by the vertical velocity, when you don't know the horizontal velocity?
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 26, 2006 #2
    Maybe you can assume the magnitude [tex] V[/tex] of the lunching speed and find the relation between it and the horizontal velocity.

Hint: use trigonometry
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2006
  4. Jan 26, 2006 #3

Homework Helper

At the maximum height the y component of the velocity is zero, therefore the speed at maximum height is only the x-component of the motion. The x-component of the velocity stays the same throughout the motion.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?