Very very easy question about size of macromolecules

• Thread starter sameeralord
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the length and size of nucleic acids, specifically DNA, and how they fit into a cell. The length of DNA molecules can be very long, with chromosome 1 being approximately 8.5 centimeters when stretched out completely. This is possible due to the winding and compacting of DNA with the help of histone proteins. The provided link may also be helpful in understanding this concept.
sameeralord
Hello guys,

I have a very quick question. They say nucleic acids are very large molecules and they cover some large distance I can not remember. Are they saying the length of these molecules are long or the size(meaning they are big with width). I don't understand how they can fit in a cell if they are that big. I can understand how they can wind a lot inside a cell, but that only explains the length. It is those trivia like things where they say this can cover the size of a tennis court and such things. Just give me your opinion. Thanks :smile:

Biology news on Phys.org
This may be useful: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DNA" [Broken]. Does this link answer your questions?

Last edited by a moderator:
Let's look at chromosome 1. It has ~250million base pairs. Each base pair is about 3.4 angstroms long. And 1 angstrom = 1x10-10 meters.

250 million base pairs x 3.4angstroms/base pair = 850 million angstroms long.

850 million angstroms x 1x10-10meters/angstrom = .085 meters. Chromosome 1, the largest chromosome, is roughly 8.5centimeters long when stretched out completely. What allows such a long molecule to fit into a small nucleus are the histone proteins that wind DNA into tiny spindles, which are then wrapped around themselves again.

If it helps, if you could cut a meter stick into a billion pieces, each piece would be 10 angstroms long.

1. What are macromolecules?

Macromolecules are large molecules made up of smaller subunits called monomers. Examples of macromolecules include proteins, nucleic acids, carbohydrates, and lipids.

2. How do macromolecules differ in size?

The size of macromolecules varies depending on the type. For example, proteins can range from a few hundred to tens of thousands of atoms, while nucleic acids can contain millions of atoms.

3. How are macromolecules measured?

Macromolecules are typically measured in units of mass, such as grams or daltons. The size can also be described in terms of the number of monomer subunits or the length of the molecule in nanometers.

4. What factors affect the size of macromolecules?

The size of macromolecules can be influenced by several factors, including the number of monomer subunits, the types of bonds present, and the overall shape and structure of the molecule.

5. Why is the size of macromolecules important?

The size of macromolecules is important because it can affect their function and properties. For example, the length and shape of a protein can determine its ability to bind to other molecules and carry out its biological role.