Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Very very easy question about size of macromolecules

1. Apr 28, 2010 #1
    Hello guys,

I have a very quick question. They say nucleic acids are very large molecules and they cover some large distance I can not remember. Are they saying the length of these molecules are long or the size(meaning they are big with width). I don't understand how they can fit in a cell if they are that big. I can understand how they can wind a lot inside a cell, but that only explains the length. It is those trivia like things where they say this can cover the size of a tennis court and such things. Just give me your opinion. Thanks :smile:

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 28, 2010 #2

Mapes

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

This may be useful: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DNA" [Broken]. Does this link answer your questions?

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  4. Apr 29, 2010 #3
    Let's look at chromosome 1. It has ~250million base pairs. Each base pair is about 3.4 angstroms long. And 1 angstrom = 1x10-10 meters.

250 million base pairs x 3.4angstroms/base pair = 850 million angstroms long.

850 million angstroms x 1x10-10meters/angstrom = .085 meters. Chromosome 1, the largest chromosome, is roughly 8.5centimeters long when stretched out completely. What allows such a long molecule to fit into a small nucleus are the histone proteins that wind DNA into tiny spindles, which are then wrapped around themselves again.

If it helps, if you could cut a meter stick into a billion pieces, each piece would be 10 angstroms long.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook