Vibration problem given Force,length and mass

In summary, the conversation discussed the use of equations for standing waves on a string to determine which frequency a flexible wire, stretched across two stops on a sonometer, cannot vibrate at. The correct answer is 1000 vib/s, as the wire has a length of 80 cm and a mass of 0.4g, but only 50 cm of the wire is within the sonometer.
Equilibrium

Homework Statement

A flexible wire 80 cm long has a mass of 0.40g. It is stretched across stops on a sonometer that are 50cm apart by a force of 500N. The wire may vibrate at the following frequencies except one. WHich one?
a. 4000vib/s
b. 1000 vib/s
c. 3000 vib / s
d. 1500 vib/s

Homework Equations

searched google for formula but none so far

no formula in my notes.
probably this one

[itex]a = -\frac{k}{m}s[/itex]

s = displacement
m = mass
k = spring constant
a = acceleration

or this one
[itex]T=2\pi\sqrt{\frac{m}{k}}[/itex]

T = period
m = mass
k = constant

The Attempt at a Solution

i don't know
can you help me start?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You've written down the equations for simple harmonic motion. But I don't think that is what the question is about. If you look up a sonometer on google, it looks very much like the situation of standing waves on a string. (since it is fixed at two ends). So I think you should be using the equations for standing waves on a string.

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/waves/string.htmli see now but the answer is not given in the multiple choice
[tex]f=\frac{v}{\lambda}[/tex]
[tex]f=\frac{v}{2L}\mbox{ since }L=\frac{\lambda}{2}[/tex]
[tex]v=\sqrt{\frac{T}{\rho}}=\sqrt{\frac{T}{\frac{m}{L}}}[/tex]
[tex]f=\frac{1}{2L}\sqrt{\frac{T}{\frac{m}{L}}}[/tex]
[tex]f=625Hz=625vib/s[/tex]
the question might be a typo or is it not?

Last edited:
I think you might be using incorrect values for L or m. The entire wire is 80cm, with mass 0.4g. But only 50cm of that wire is within the sonometer. So what should you use for L and m in the equation?

i see, so [tex]\rho=\frac{m}{L_{string}}[/tex] L_string = 80cm is different from
the length of the string apart which is the wavelength/2 = 50cm

1000vib/s
thanks

yep. no worries :)

1. What is the formula for calculating vibration frequency?

The formula for calculating vibration frequency is ƒ = 1/2π √(k/m), where ƒ is frequency, k is the spring constant, and m is the mass of the object.

2. How does the length of an object affect its vibration frequency?

The length of an object does not directly affect its vibration frequency. However, it can indirectly affect it by altering the spring constant or mass of the object, which are both factors in the frequency calculation.

3. Can the vibration frequency of an object be changed by adjusting the force applied to it?

Yes, the vibration frequency of an object can be changed by adjusting the force applied to it. A higher force will result in a higher frequency, while a lower force will result in a lower frequency.

4. How does the mass of an object affect its vibration frequency?

The mass of an object directly affects its vibration frequency. A higher mass will result in a lower frequency, while a lower mass will result in a higher frequency.

5. What is the relationship between vibration frequency and amplitude?

The relationship between vibration frequency and amplitude is that as the frequency increases, the amplitude decreases. This means that the higher the frequency, the shorter and faster the vibrations will be. The lower the frequency, the longer and slower the vibrations will be.