Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Vibrations of astronomical bodies

1. Oct 21, 2017 #1

Stickman76

Gold Member

Pulsars are known to rotate at very predictable frequencies. If a beep or short tone is assigned to each rotation, the spin of the star can be 'sonified'. Pulsars spin anywhere from a few fractions of times per second to over 600 per second. 600 cycles is audible in the human range of hearing. However if the spin were anything over 20,000 times per second, it would cease to be audible, naturally, to the human ear.

What celestial objects do we know of that spin, orbit or otherwise vibrate naturally at a rate between 20 times per second and 20,000?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 21, 2017 #2

ISamson

Gold Member

4. Oct 21, 2017 #3

Drakkith

Staff: Mentor

Only very dense objects like neutron stars and black holes, as far as I know. Less-dense objects would be torn apart from tidal or centrifugal forces.

5. Oct 21, 2017 #4

Stickman76

Gold Member

Thank you, that is very insightful information. And that narrows my search drastically! So that means there's a relationship to an object's density and its capacity to spin?

6. Oct 21, 2017 #5

ISamson

Gold Member

Yes there is. @Drakkith is right.

7. Oct 21, 2017 #6

Stickman76

Gold Member

Are we talking about the Roche limit?

8. Oct 21, 2017 #7

Stickman76

Gold Member

9. Oct 22, 2017 #8
    With an inherent lower frequency limit but without an inherent upper limit. However, high frequencies are poorly resonated.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted