Vibrations of astronomical bodies

Stickman76

Main Question or Discussion Point

Pulsars are known to rotate at very predictable frequencies. If a beep or short tone is assigned to each rotation, the spin of the star can be 'sonified'. Pulsars spin anywhere from a few fractions of times per second to over 600 per second. 600 cycles is audible in the human range of hearing. However if the spin were anything over 20,000 times per second, it would cease to be audible, naturally, to the human ear.

What celestial objects do we know of that spin, orbit or otherwise vibrate naturally at a rate between 20 times per second and 20,000?

Answers and Replies

Drakkith
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
What celestial objects do we know of that spin, orbit or otherwise vibrate naturally at a rate between 20 times per second and 20,000?
Only very dense objects like neutron stars and black holes, as far as I know. Less-dense objects would be torn apart from tidal or centrifugal forces.

Likes Stickman76 and ISamson
Stickman76
Thank you, that is very insightful information. And that narrows my search drastically! So that means there's a relationship to an object's density and its capacity to spin?

ISamson
Gold Member
Thank you, that is very insightful information. And that narrows my search drastically! So that means there's a relationship to an object's density and its capacity to spin?
Yes there is. @Drakkith is right.

Likes Stickman76
Stickman76
Are we talking about the Roche limit?

Thank you, yes I have done some research since the original post and now I know what objects I am looking for. Also looking into helioseismology- sound waves are found to exist in stars, also falling into the range of human hearing.
With an inherent lower frequency limit but without an inherent upper limit. However, high frequencies are poorly resonated.