Visibility of sun in different altitudes

• Thread starter trina1990
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Sun
I misunderstood the question. Let me revise my summary:In summary, the conversation discusses the visibility of the sun at the top of a tower during the spring equinox for a specific latitude. The formula used to calculate the time for the sun to become visible is "root over (2RH)/(2piR *cosø) =time to be obtained/86400". However, there seems to be a discrepancy between the expected amount of "13.94(root over )H * sec ø" and the calculated amount of "4.24 root over H * sec ø". The speaker is seeking help in identifying their error in the calculations.
trina1990
I've to show , " at the spring equinox for a place of latitude ø, the sun will become visible at the top of a tower of height " H " feet, about
" 13.94(root over )H * sec ø "

But as far i made calculations, i got the amount of
"4.24 root over H * sec ø "

I used all the measurements in feet but i could not derive this amount of 13.94 instead of 4.25. .
Plz someone held me to obtain it. .

I used this formula
" root over (2RH)/(2piR *cosø) =time to be obtained/86400 "
Now please identify my err

Physics news on Phys.org
trina1990 said:
I've to show , " at the spring equinox for a place of latitude ø, the sun will become visible at the top of a tower of height " H " feet, about
" 13.94(root over )H * sec ø "

But as far i made calculations, i got the amount of
"4.24 root over H * sec ø "
Please explain the problem and the calculations you have made. I don't understand why the sun would not be visible at the base of the tower.

AM

1. What is the significance of altitude on the visibility of the sun?

The altitude of the sun is an important factor in determining its visibility because it affects the angle at which the sun's rays reach the Earth's surface. The higher the altitude, the more direct the sun's rays are, making it easier to see the sun in the sky.

2. Why does the sun appear larger at lower altitudes?

This is an optical illusion known as the Ponzo illusion. When the sun is closer to the horizon, there are more objects in the foreground, such as trees or buildings, making the sun appear larger in comparison.

3. Can the sun be seen at all altitudes?

Yes, the sun can be seen at all altitudes. However, there are certain factors such as weather conditions or the presence of clouds that can affect the visibility of the sun at different altitudes.

4. How does the visibility of the sun change at different latitudes?

The visibility of the sun can vary at different latitudes due to the curvature of the Earth. At higher latitudes, such as near the poles, the sun may not rise or set for several months, while at lower latitudes closer to the equator, the sun may be visible for longer periods of time.

5. Is it safe to look at the sun at different altitudes?

No, it is never safe to look directly at the sun, regardless of its altitude. The sun's rays can cause permanent damage to the eyes, even if the sun is partially obscured by clouds or at a lower altitude.