Visit to Hayden Planaterium -- The projector is gone?

• B
  • Thread starter Thecla
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Projector
In summary, the conversation discusses the changes at the Hayden Planetarium, which used to project stars onto the dome but now shows movies with special effects. The speakers express nostalgia for the old projector and suggest that showing the night sky would be more impressive. They also mention celebrity narrators and the possibility of using modern technology for a better experience.
Thecla
TL;DR Summary
What happened to the projector?
As a kid I always liked going to the Hayden Planetarium. Stars were projected on the dome that a city kid could only dream of seeing.But that was a long time ago.I went there recently and the projector is gone. They now show movies projected on the dome with some special effects.Don't you think young children would be amazed to see what the stars look like from a rural observing site?. Bring back the projector!

Astronomy news on Phys.org
I loved that projector! :oldcry:

I visited the planetarium twice in the last 10 years . There were celebrity narrators, Leonard Nemoy and Neil de Grasse Tyson, narrating a movie projected onto a hemisphere. This could have been shown in a regular movie theater. They should show the night sky in all its glory.

I would guess that you could do a better job with a computer and some lasers now. I'm not sure the hardware is the problem with the content you saw.

1. What happened to the projector at the Hayden Planetarium?

The projector at the Hayden Planetarium was removed as part of a major renovation and upgrade to the planetarium's technology and capabilities.

2. Will the projector be replaced with a newer version?

Yes, the projector will be replaced with a state-of-the-art digital system that will enhance the visitor experience and allow for more immersive and interactive shows.

3. How long will the planetarium be closed for renovations?

The planetarium is expected to be closed for approximately 2 years while the renovations take place. However, visitors can still enjoy other exhibits and shows at the museum during this time.

4. Will the planetarium shows be different after the renovation?

Yes, the new digital system will allow for more dynamic and customizable shows, providing visitors with a more engaging and educational experience.

5. When will the planetarium reopen?

The planetarium is expected to reopen in [insert date] with a grand reopening event and new shows for visitors to enjoy.