1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Visualization of graphs in three dimention

1. Apr 3, 2008 #1
    how to visualize three dimentional figures for example quadratic surfaces in three dimention when graph is plotted on two dimentional sheet which is usually the case.
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 3, 2008 #2
    Look up isometric drawing.
  4. Apr 4, 2008 #3
    or, if you are talking about transforming an x,y,z point into a x,y point (ie a vector into pixels on a screen) look up 3d projection and perspective transformation.

Depending on how fluent you are at reading math, the wikipedia article might be what you need. (Though personally, I rarely find wikipedia good at explaining stuff I don't already know).

5. Apr 4, 2008 #4

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

What, exactly, do you mean by "visualization"? A good two dimensional rendering of a 3 dimensional graph should include enough visual information (perspective, etc.) to make the 3 dimensional shape clear. At first I thought you were talking about visualizing a graph when you are only given the formula (say, z= x2+ y2) but, since you say "when graph is plotted on two dimentional sheet which is usually the case", apparently that is not what you are asking.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?