1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

R^(1/2) Question, half dimension space meaning?

1. Jan 27, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I know some people use R to mean all numbers in only one dimension which span a line. R^2 meaning numbers with two dimensions that span a plane. R^3 meaning three dimensional numbers that span three dimensional space. I'm not really sure if I worded that correctly but I think you know what I'm saying. So what's the meaning/representation of R^(3/2) or other half dimensions? Where R^(3/2) is half way between R^1 and R^2. I was just wondering if this currently has any meaning or visualization of half a dimensional space.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 27, 2016 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Well, there's Hausdorff dimension. But it doesn't mean much in terms of number of coordinates. Is that what you are talking about?

4. Jan 28, 2016 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Where did you see reference to R^(3/2)?

5. Jan 28, 2016 #4

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Fractional dimensions arise in chaos theory (fractals) but that's not in the same sense as you describe.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted