Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Medical Vitamin B megadoses, smokers, and lung cancer rates

1. Aug 23, 2017 #1

jim mcnamara

Staff: Mentor

http://ascopubs.org/doi/abs/10.1200/JCO.2017.72.7735?journalCode=jco

For male aged 50-70 smokers taking vitamin B pills with megadose levels, rates of lung cancer increased by a factor of 30% - 40%. Females did not show the same response.

"Single" vitamin B pills: ex: Vitamin B12 only. These pills have large amounts of vitamin B relative to the daily requirement.

For me this is not a huge surprise. Megadoses of some micronutrients are prescribed for short periods of time. Then stopped. Example: Vitamin D at 3x daily value for one month may alter some EKG results positively. B vitamins are eliminated in urine, making urine a bright yellow. Excess vitamin D is not eliminated but stored.

But. In general, micronutrient megadoses often have an antinutrient effect. The most common example you will see in popular literature is vitamin C in large doses prevents absorption of copper, a required nutrient.

Megadoses of vitamins in some cases also have deleterious effects, example Vitamin D.
    https://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/VitaminD-HealthProfessional/

If you want more scientifically oriented information on specific micronutrient supplements this gives the whole large list:
    https://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/list-all

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 29, 2017 #2
  4. Aug 29, 2017 #3

jim mcnamara

Livestrong is a commercial site, and not necessarily reliable scientifically. I am after nothing, no specific goal. Just want to direct people to actual accepted medical/scientific data meant for non-scientists. NIH is the best source for this stuff. Livestrong may be fun, but it is like talking to your lovable Aunt Gertie who says 'I read somewhere that magnets cause cancer'.

PS: your link cites no scientific paper, nothing. We do not want that at PF, except in General Discussion. Please don't do that.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/3737019 -why megadoses are bad.

5. Aug 29, 2017 #4
    From the abstract in the above link "There are six categories that require vitamin supplements and, in some cases, megadoses... Finally, a brief review of the potential risks and benefits of megadoses in normal, healthy adults will be given." (bolding by me).

So your own link is saying that it can be bad or good as I said above. I agree that megadoses of vitamins are a treatment just as drugs are, and can be dangerous. My link was just an example that such things exist - it was not intended as proof of anything. There are sites that show references, but I did not want to spend the time to find one.

By the way, I was only able to read the abstract from your link, making it quite useless. What does it take to be able to read the whole article?

6. Aug 30, 2017 #5

jim mcnamara

My bad.
    This is all the PUBMED site has, presumably because the article comes from the late 1980's. I chose this one because it had been cited a lot in some other papers.
    I'll get a better link....

7. Aug 30, 2017 #6

jim mcnamara

When you go to pubmed, one of the features is the search language used, you can see and edit it, then rerun the search.
    It is on the right side of the screen and has a text frame with a button labelled 'Search'

I do not know what you can and cannot read because medical terminology is sometimes impenetrable -- I've been working with it for years and still have to look up lots of things. Especially clinical, I'm not a physician.

Try playing with a detail search and see what looks accessible to you.
    Query:
    Code (Text):

megadose[All Fields] AND ("vitamins"[Pharmacological Action] OR "vitamins"[MeSH Terms] OR "vitamins"[All Fields] OR "vitamin"[All Fields]) AND ("pathology"[Subheading] OR "pathology"[All Fields] OR "pathology"[MeSH Terms])

MeSH is a kind metadata, somewhat like the tags we have on PF.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted