Voltage check on car electrical components

In summary, the conversation discusses using a multimeter to test fuses and other components in a car. The person mentions that when testing a fuse, there should be the same reading on both sides, but they are confused about how this is possible due to the fuse having some resistance. The expert explains that the resistance across a fuse is very little and the multimeter will show the same reading as if the leads were directly touching. They also mention that for other components with non-negligible resistance, there will be a more noticeable difference in voltage when testing with the multimeter. They also discuss the protocol for showing appreciation for a post and the need to remove the fuse and disconnect power before testing the resistance. The expert also explains that for
Hondaboi1729
Hi

I watched this video of a guy testing a fusebox with a multimeter:
if you skip to 6:10 he uses a multimeter on a particular fuse and
when putting the black lead on good ground of car and red lead on either side of the fuse he gets the same reading on both sides. He even comments that
there should be the same reading! yet I don't see how:

the fuse must have SOME resistance so when connecting to the end which is furthest from the negative terminal battery won't the reading be slightly less? electron has to travel through the wires to nearest end of the fuse. the eelectron has to lose potential overcoming the resistance in the fuse when it passes through the first end of fuse and reaches the other end. (the one further away) so at that end won't the reading for potential difference/voltage be less?

Engineering news on Phys.org
The resistance across a fuse is very little. Typically if you set the multimeter to ohms it will show the same across the fuse as it does with the leads touched directly together.

Likes Hondaboi1729
Ok thanks - But theoretically because of this very little resistance the true voltage (not multimeter reading ) at the other end will be less right?
and suppose you had an actual component with non negligable resistance- you can still do a voltage test at either end because both terminals must show a nonzero reading if receiving power from battery
but even the multimeter will show a smaller voltage reading at one end right?

The multimeter just isn't sensitive enough to display the voltage drop which would probably be in the .001-.0001 volt range. It is only a very short smaller gauge conductor. It think it takes meters of typical conductors to see one tenth of 12 volts drop.

Likes donpacino and Hondaboi1729
this is irrespective of the component or are you talking about fuses in your above reply?

jerromyjon said:
It is only a very short smaller gauge conductor.
The fuses, you can see the length of the circuit... if you think about the black lead grounding through the chassis to the battery cable then the negative post of the battery and the positive running through the wires to feed the fuse you typically have .1-.2 volt drop from battery voltage, the fuse resistance is minuscule compared to that.

Likes Hondaboi1729
ok- but for other components with two terminals that have non negligable resistance there will be a much more noticable difference in voltage by putting the red multimeter lead first on one terminal and then the other right because of the much larger resistance?

Sure. An ignition coil, solenoid, headlights would have considerable voltage drop.

Likes Hondaboi1729
what's the protocol for showing appreciation for a particular post? pressing like? just avoids saying thank you profusely :oldsmile:

In that same video the dude said in order to do an ohm's test on a fuse on the other hand- the fuse must be removed .

1) why need to remove for resistance test?
2) do I need to disconnect the power before I remove the fuse?

Hondaboi1729 said:
In that same video the dude said in order to do an ohm's test on a fuse on the other hand- the fuse must be removed .

1) why need to remove for resistance test?

To measure the resistance a meter puts a small voltage across the fuse and measures the current. It calculates the resistance using R=V/I. If the fuse is still in the car the meter cannot tell if the current is flowing in the fuse or through the wiring of the car.

2) do I need to disconnect the power before I remove the fuse?

Yes. As a general rule you should always disconnect the power for safety reasons if nothing else. A car may only use 12V but a car battery can put out a lot of current if you accidentally short circuit it while removing a fuse.

jerromyjon said:
Sure. An ignition coil, solenoid, headlights would have considerable voltage drop.
Not with just a voltmeter. Do some circuit analysis with a several megohm load (being the voltmeter) in series with say a several hundred ohm load (such as the coil of an automotive relay). You will find there is virtually no drop through the relay coil.

Averagesupernova said:
Not with just a voltmeter. Do some circuit analysis with a several megohm load (being the voltmeter) in series with say a several hundred ohm load (such as the coil of an automotive relay). You will find there is virtually no drop through the relay coil.

Ermm so no matter what component the difference between a voltage test on either terminal of the component will not be much different? is that what you are saying?

also for a voltage test why not just measure the voltage between the two terminals themselves on the multimeter instead of bothering to connect one multimeter lead to ground and the other lead to one of the component's (e.g a fuse) teminals.

Hondaboi1729 said:
also for a voltage test why not just measure the voltage between the two terminals themselves on the multimeter instead of bothering to connect one multimeter lead to ground and the other lead to one of the component's (e.g a fuse) teminals.
Go ahead and try it. Something tells me that no matter what we tell you, you will become more confused before you become less confused.

Hondaboi1729 said:
Ermm so no matter what component the difference between a voltage test on either terminal of the component will not be much different? is that what you are saying?
Check the voltage drop on a running starter motor which cranks the engine... anywhere in the system available voltage would decrease.

Hondaboi1729 said:
And where would that get you? For voltage you would detect none. For Ohms check you touch the leads together and the meter I typically use shows .6-.7 ohms just from the leads and then you subtract that from the resistance of something you are checking to see what the resistance is and if that checks with the normal.

because in school all I learned was putting the voltmeter in parallel with a particular component? it was only when dealing with real life stuff like cars and motorbikes was this connecting to ground business came in.
Obviously if you see a voltage reading when you put a voltmeter in parallel with a component and it gives a non zero reading it is receiving power from the battery.
Once again you would detect no voltage because the resistance in the fuse is so little? And we would be circling back to the same discussion for other components too with other high resistance components too where I was directed to see to for myself? I just don't see what the issue is in coming to a conclusion in theory based on physical fact instead without having to try it?
If something has high resistance like a starter motor why is it not clear cut to conclude you'll get a reasonable voltage reading with voltmeter in parallel to it on both terminals. and when doing voltage drop test twice with one lead of voltmeter/multimeter connected to ground and the other on each terminal there will be a difference... I'm happy to try it- but what is wrong with the theory first is all I'm interested in...

@Hondaboi1729 . If you take the time to learn some circuit analysis you will understand it. Yes, voltage is always measured in parallel with a component or set of components. If you draw some simple schematics out you will realize that is what you are doing when one voltmeter probe is connected to ground.
-
A starter motor does NOT have a high resistance. Quite the opposite. The jest of it without going to a lot of 'book lurn'n' is this: A high resistance component (automotive relay coil) in series with a lower resistance component (incandescent headlight) with this group hooked to the battery will have the total voltage divided up between the two components. The higher resistance component will have the most voltage across it. Sometimes we want NO voltage across one of the components such as a fuse until too much current flows and blows the fuse. Then we would want ALL of the voltage across the open fuse in which case no current flows.
-
In the end, the best way to wrap your head around it is to learn basic circuit analysis.

1. What is voltage check on car electrical components?

Voltage check on car electrical components is a diagnostic procedure used to measure the electrical potential difference (voltage) between two points on a car's electrical system. This is typically done to determine if the electrical components are functioning properly and to identify any potential issues that may cause malfunctions.

2. When should I perform a voltage check on my car's electrical components?

Voltage checks should be performed whenever there is a suspected issue with a car's electrical system, such as a malfunctioning component or an electrical failure. They can also be done as a preventive maintenance measure to ensure all electrical components are functioning properly.

3. How is a voltage check performed on car electrical components?

A voltage check is typically performed using a digital multimeter, which is a device that measures voltage, current, and resistance. The multimeter is connected to the electrical component being tested and the voltage reading is displayed on the device's screen. The procedure may vary slightly depending on the specific component being tested.

4. What is a normal voltage reading for car electrical components?

The normal voltage reading for car electrical components can vary depending on the specific component being tested and the make and model of the car. However, in general, a healthy car battery should have a voltage reading between 12.4 and 12.6 volts when the engine is off, and between 13.7 and 14.7 volts when the engine is running.

5. What are some common issues that can be identified through a voltage check on car electrical components?

A voltage check can help identify a variety of issues, such as a weak or failing car battery, faulty alternator, damaged wiring, or malfunctioning electrical components. It can also help determine if there is a parasitic drain on the battery, which is when an electrical component or system is draining the battery even when the car is turned off.