Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Volume expansion of different gases

1. Mar 14, 2010 #1
    first i want to apologize if i'm posting this in the wrong section. my first post here.

I know that all gases expand at the same rate at consistant pressure when heated. My question is do different gases expand at different volumes under equal pressure and heat? If so what would be some examples of gases that expand in volume, to a much greater degree then other gases.

thank you,

Jay

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 15, 2010 #2

Borek

Staff: Mentor

I am not sure what you mean by "expand at different volumes", please elaborate.

--

4. Mar 24, 2010 #3
    ok say for example, you have oxygen that occupies a volume of 1 sq/ft at 25 degrees F. If the temperature of the oxygen where to rise to 30 degrees F, the volume of oxygen would expand to a greater volume then 1 sq/ft. What im looking for is a known gas that has a very large expansion rate so to speak.

Again for example, If oxygen was 1 sq/ft at 25 degrees F, and then was to expand to a volume of 1.2 sq/ft at 30 degrees F, what gas would expand to a much larger volume then that of oxygen with the rise in temperature?

In comparison to solid items, copper will have a linear expansion much greater then that of glass with a rise in temperature. I'm looking for the "copper" of gases so to speak.

5. Mar 24, 2010 #4

Borek

Staff: Mentor

sq/ft - as far as I understand is a square feet, that's not a volume unit.

Most gases at reasonable conditions are pretty well approximated by ideal gas equation - so the "expansion rate" doesn't depend on the gas identity. That's why I had doubts if I understand what you mean.

--
    methods

6. Mar 24, 2010 #5
    your totally right!!
    i mean to say a cubic foot of gas.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook