1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Volume of a tetrahedron regular

1. Jun 14, 2015 #1
    See the image that I uploaded...

2222.png

I want to write the surface S (bounded by edges u, v and w) in terms of x, y and z, u, v and w and A, B and C. And I got it!

See:
    [tex]S(A,B,C) = \sqrt{A^2+B^2+C^2}[/tex]
    [tex]S(x,y,z) = \sqrt{\frac{1}{4}( (yz)^2 + (zx)^2 + (xy)^2 )}[/tex]
    [tex]S(u,v,w) = \sqrt{(+u+v+w)(-u+v+w)(+u-v+w)(+u+v-w)}[/tex]

And the Volume V:
    [tex]V(x,y,z) = \frac{1}{6} xyz [/tex]
    But, I don't know how to write V in terms of A, B, C neither u, v, w. Can you help me with this, please?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 14, 2015 #2

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

There are some complicated Heron-type formulas for computing the volume of a tetrahedron which are similar to those for computing the area of a triangle. However, these formulas are much more complex.

The paper at the following link shows the derivation of these formulas ad gives references for further study:

http://www.cs.berkeley.edu/~wkahan/VtetLang.pdf

Tetrahedrons are discussed starting at p. 11, but the previous material provides a good refresher.

4. Jun 14, 2015 #3
    I thank you for this answer. Actually, this no answer my question, but I'll intend to ask this in another thread. I'll intend to ask this and more one thing, that's the following:

Given a tetrahedron irregular (any tetrahedron), how to write the volume V in terms of the areas A, B, C and S?

OBS: my first question in this thread still no be answered.

5. Jun 14, 2015 #4

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If the edges x, y, and z are mutually perpendicular, you can write expressions for the areas A, B, and C using those lengths.

6. Jun 14, 2015 #5
    I don't understand you explanation...

I discovered how to write V in terms of u, v and w:

[tex]V(u,v,w) = \sqrt{\frac{1}{288} (+u^2+v^2-w^2) (+u^2-v^2+w^2) (-u^2+v^2+w^2) }[/tex]

7. Jun 15, 2015 #6
    I discovered too: [tex]V(A,B,C) = \sqrt{\frac{2}{9} A B C} [/tex]

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook