Volume of shell: y=x²+1 rotated around y=-1

  • Thread starter Thread starter bonfire09
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Volume
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
bonfire09
Messages
247
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


I have to sketch a vertical or horizontal strip and state an expression for the volume of the shell formed by its rotation. Do not solve

y=x^2+1 x=0
y=1 x=1

around y=-1

Homework Equations





The Attempt at a Solution


I'm really lost because I don't know how to get started. I think dy works but I can't get it right. Any help will be great thanks.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Have you figured out the shape in the plane? As a volume of revolution?
Pls post what you have for the integral so that we can see where you are stuck.