1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Volume of solid rotated around y=1

1. Mar 18, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Find the volume of the solid formed by revolving the region bounded by f(x) = 2-x^2 and g(x) = 1 about the line y = 1.

2. Relevant equations
    V = ∏∫(1-f(x))^2dx - ∏∫(1-g(x))^2dx

3. The attempt at a solution
    I keep ending up with ∏∫(1-(2-x^2))^2dx - ∏∫(1-1)^2dx, on the interval from x = 0, x = 1. This gives me ∏∫[(-1+x^2)^2 - 0]dx
    = ∏[x - (2/3)x^3 + (1/5)x^5].

This keeps giving me 8∏/15.
    This is on a test review sheet, with the answer being 16∏/15. So I can get that answer by multiplying mine by 2, but why would I do that? I must be doing something wrong somewhere else. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 18, 2014 #2
    Hi jaguar ride! Welcome to PF!

Sketch a plot of the given region. ;)

You will notice that the integration limits are incorrect.

4. Mar 18, 2014 #3
    Ah yes. Should have mentioned that a sketch is the first thing I do when solving these problems.
    That being said, I feel extra stupid for staring at this thing for so long and not realizing the limits could be negative.

Got the answer. Makes sense that I could multiply it by 2 now...

Thanks for your help and the warm welcome, I'll be back for physics help soon enough....

5. Mar 18, 2014 #4
    Glad to help! :smile:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted