Volume of solid rotating y=x² between x=2 and x=4 about x=7

  • Thread starter Thread starter willson.slp
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Solid Volume
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
6 replies · 2K views
willson.slp
Messages
6
Reaction score
0
I'm have trouble with a homework problem having to do with find volume of an area. the problem reads:

Find the volume of the solid obtained by rotating the region bounded by the given curves about the specified line.

y=x^2 , y=0 , x=2 , x=4;


about the line x=7

I've tried using the washer method and also the shell method with no luck. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Show your attempt, please, so as we can find out what went wrong.

ehild
 
since its rotating about the line x=7, I solved for y first

Im using pi*intergral from 0 to 16 of ((7-sqrt(y))^2-(7-5)^2)dy

I think I'm messing up with what my inner and outer radius' are and possibly the bounds
 
Last edited:
Y goes from 0 to x^2. First I would get the volume of a cylindrical shell of radius 7-x, thickness dx and height y=x^2. Then the integration with respect to x goes from x=2 to x=4.

ehild
 
Last edited:
That did it!
I came up with 424pi/3

When I initially tried the shell method I was using just x for the radius instead of 7-x. Thanks again for the help!
 
I double checked it and still got 424pi/3
The homework is online and I got it correct