Volume of Solid Revolving Region Bounded by x=y^2, x=4 About x=5

  • Thread starter Thread starter Blonde1551
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 1K views
Blonde1551
Messages
5
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement

Find volume of the solid generated by revolving the region bounded by x = y^2, x=4
about the line x = 5

Homework Equations



the washer method from c to d ∏∫ R(y)2 - r(y)2

The Attempt at a Solution



I set r(y) = 1 and R(y)= y^2

and got the integral from 0 to 2 of ∏∫(y^2)^2-(1)^2

I got an answer of 16.96 but i know this is wrong because the back of the book gives a different answer. Please tell me where I went wrong.
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Blonde1551 said:

Homework Statement




Find volume of the solid generated by revolving the region bounded by x = y^2, x=4
about the line x = 5

Homework Equations



the washer method from c to d ∏∫ R(y)2 - r(y)2

The Attempt at a Solution



I set r(y) = 1 and R(y)= y^2

and got the integral from 0 to 2 of ∏∫(y^2)^2-(1)^2

I got an answer of 16.96 but i know this is wrong because the back of the book gives a different answer. Please tell me where I went wrong.
Think about what the washer method involves -- why it's called the "washer" method.

What do r(y) and R(y) represent?