Volunteers for an Experimental Teaching Tool

In summary, a project is being started to develop an open source, modular, web-based teaching tool for math, science, and engineering courses. The project is currently seeking individuals who believe in the cause and are willing to provide their expertise. The goal is to have a diverse team of experts from different fields working together to create a comprehensive teaching tool. The inspiration for this project comes from the James Burke KnowledgeWeb and a desire to move away from traditional top-down learning methods. A visionary approach is needed to avoid fragmentation of the design.
daviddoria
I am starting a project to develop, with a very diverse team, an open source, modular, web-based teaching tool for math, science, and engineering courses.

Here is a link to the full project description:
http://www.rpi.edu/~doriad/TeachingTool/Multidisciplinary_Teaching_Software_Project_6-2-2010.doc [Broken]

Since the project is not yet funded, we are looking for people who believe in the cause and are willing to provide their expertise to get us started. Of course if things go well, there may be funding in the future!

Please let me know if you are interested! Please PM me.

Thanks!

David

Last edited by a moderator:
Science news on Phys.org
David, I removed your e-mail address because spam bots will pick it up and you will be inundated. People can PM you, then you can decide if they are someone you really want to give your address to. Likewise, you are more likely to get PM'd than e-mailed, no one here knows who you are.

why is new software needed? What's is wrong with conventional CMS like zope and joomla? or more popular content delivery services like youtube or vimeo?

You're right - the software may be fine. What I'm claiming though is that there needs to be many people from many fields working together to effectively produce a teaching tool. Typically this is done by the "content expert" alone. He is typically not versed in the "art" of teaching, or learning, or web design, or speaking/lecture, or human factors considerations, etc. I am wondering what it would be like to have a group of experts from each of these fields work together to produce a tool.

I see. Well you should want to do totally different things to what you can imagine.

Look at James Burke KnowledgeWeb for inspiration. Forget the rote top down learning approach. You also need a visionary- not lots of cooks pulling on the design fracturing it into pieces.

1. What is the purpose of "Volunteers for an Experimental Teaching Tool"?

The purpose of this program is to gather volunteers who are willing to participate in an experimental teaching tool to help improve educational methods and techniques.

2. How can I become a volunteer for this program?

To become a volunteer, you can sign up through the program's website or contact the program coordinator directly. You will then go through a screening process to determine your eligibility and suitability for the program.

3. What kind of commitment is required for volunteers in this program?

The commitment required for volunteers may vary depending on the specific program, but most commonly it involves a certain number of hours per week or month for a specified period of time. This will be discussed and agreed upon during the screening process.

4. Will I receive any compensation for participating in this program?

As this is an experimental program, volunteers will not receive any monetary compensation. However, they may gain valuable skills and experience, and may also have the opportunity to contribute to advancements in educational methods.

5. Is there a specific educational background or experience required to be a volunteer?

No, there is no specific educational background or experience required to be a volunteer. However, certain programs may have specific requirements based on the nature of the experimental teaching tool. These will be discussed during the screening process.