VOTE PF PHOTO CONTEST - Footprints in time

Vote

  • Binzing

    Votes: 10 50.0%
  • ZapperZ

    Votes: 10 50.0%

  • Total voters
    20
  • Poll closed .
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
36 replies · 6K views
Borek said:
Original:

SmoothSteps.jpg


This is slightly corrected, I suppose that's more like it looked in reality:

binzing_SmoothSteps.jpg

I could have played with it a lot, I chose not to. I like the darker version, its more realistic as to being in the Northwest.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
My take is that the bluish tint is just an error in the white balance settings, so in a way the picture you have posted is the one that was "played with".

This is a beach picture taken this year. Notice similar weather. It was saved in RAW so I can select which preset white balance will be applied. This is daylight:

beach_daylight.jpg


This is fluorescent light, slightly tuned:

beach_fluorescent.jpg


This bluish tint doesn't look realistic and is very similar to the one on your picture. Upper picture is much closer to the reality.
 
misgfool said:
You sure don't demand much. Let's see. I have seen a gazillion pictures like this before. The image isn't very sharp. A bigfoot, the one with small feet, has been walking there quite recently. Nothing new in that. There isn't beautiful half-naked woman on the beach. I'm not there courting her.

See I already found 3 flaws, 1 major flaw and 1 really really major flaw in the picture.

You asked a question:
Ok, what makes it good?
I answered it with my opinion. There is no right or wrong answer.
Wellesley said:
First off, it depends on an individual's taste and opinions. Everyone likes different photos. This photo is appealing to me because it shows a nature scene with a large body of water and a beach. Plus, it just looks cool.
 
Borek said:
My take is that the bluish tint is just an error in the white balance settings, so in a way the picture you have posted is the one that was "played with".

This bluish tint doesn't look realistic and is very similar to the one on your picture. Upper picture is much closer to the reality.

I think if you use the tungsten light white balance setting it tries to compensate for the yellow in the bulb by making the photo more blue, so that it looks natural under that lighting. If you leave it on that setting, it turns the picture blue when taking pictures with outdoor sunlight.

How did you fix the colour Borek? I tried to fix the colours of a flower and insect but had no success with that. I forgot to change the whitebalance setting to, "sunlight."
 
~christina~ said:
How did you fix the colour Borek?

I am using Digital Photo Profesional that I got with my Canon. If the picture is saved in RAW format, I can apply any white balance I want. To some extent it allows me to work with JPGs also, but then I can't use presets.

It can be also done using Photoshop. I have seen it done by an experienced photoshopper, but it was eons ago and I don't remember any details :(
 
Borek said:
I am using Digital Photo Profesional that I got with my Canon. If the picture is saved in RAW format, I can apply any white balance I want. To some extent it allows me to work with JPGs also, but then I can't use presets.

It can be also done using Photoshop. I have seen it done by an experienced photoshopper, but it was eons ago and I don't remember any details :(

Hm..I don't have the photos in RAW format because Nikon requires you to buy another program software to process the images.

I have photoshop and I tried a bunch of things and did not get the desired effect. It still looks greenish blue. :frown: Oh well.
 
~christina~ said:
Hm..I don't have the photos in RAW format because Nikon requires you to buy another program software to process the images.

I have photoshop and I tried a bunch of things and did not get the desired effect. It still looks greenish blue. :frown: Oh well.

If you have a recent version of photoshop (CS3 or CS4), you should also have Adobe Bridge as part of it. If it won't open the RAW images from a Nikon (.NEF), then you just need to check for uninstalled updates for the software and install them. The updates include the drivers for Nikon cameras. Once you have it in Adobe Bridge, open the file in Camera Raw and save it from there...choose the file type .DNG, which is a lossless digital negative format that is a more universal standard.

There are presets to adjust the white balance in Bridge. Though, I've been enjoying using Lightroom more recently since it can handle more complex lighting situations more easily (I work in rooms with horrible fluorescent lights supplemented by a tungsten lamp, and sometimes other forms of incandescent or halogen lights...it's definitely NOT a photographic studio)...in Lightroom, you can do a custom white balance based on a selected part of the photo. So, I can just click on a place that should be white and let it automatically get very close to the right setting. Then I just need to tweak the settings a little bit. Much easier than the presets in Bridge.

I'm learning a LOT about photography with my current projects. :biggrin: