VOTE Photo Contest - Food and Wine

In summary, the conversation is about a contest thread where people are voting for the best picture that represents the theme of food and/or wine. The competition is tough and the moderator is struggling to choose between two tied pictures for first place. The conversation also includes discussions about homemade food, gardening, and different cooking shows.

VOTE PF Photo Contest - Food and Win

• alex_caps

Votes: 1 4.8%
  • turbo-1

Votes: 6 28.6%
  • matthyaouw

Votes: 3 14.3%
  • hypnagogue

Votes: 5 23.8%
  • dontdisturbmycircles

Votes: 5 23.8%
  • robphy

Votes: 1 4.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
ZapperZ
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Insights Author
A small but strong number of entries. This time, your vote is very important in determining who will win the Elton Brown DVD set, so every vote counts! Please vote for the best picture that represents our theme, which is on Food and/or Wine.

1. alex_caps
http://bikeflat.com/albums/Thanksgiving/016_7.sized.jpg

2. turbo-1
smallcupboard.jpg

3. matthyaouw
bottle2.jpg

4. hypnagogue
http://img221.imageshack.us/img221/8797/jackasspx7.jpg

5. dontdisturbmycircles
http://img294.imageshack.us/img294/3491/p1000693qi6.jpg

6. robphy
http://img212.imageshack.us/img212/6829/eggandspam640pm5.jpg

Contest thread

Good luck to everyone!

Zz.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
had to go with hypnagogue! picture of the year! his picture made me laugh out loud :rofl: the pretzel makes it.

moe darklight said:
had to go with hypnagogue! picture of the year! his picture made me laugh out loud :rofl: the pretzel makes it.

That is a philosopher's breakfast. They are on the menu at Dennys. :biggrin:

I had to go with DDMC - the life of a student. It actually makes me miss being a student a bit, which hasn't happened in a long time.

But where is the coffee cup?

Last edited:
turbo-1: it reminded me of my moms' pantry when I was a kid...

Ahh, it's so hard not to vote for myself when free DVD's are on the line! Had to go with hypnagogue though, I admire the humour.

Ivan : Thanks, as for the coffee, I think that picture was taken around 6pm (Yes I eat cereal at 6pm...) and I have 8:00am classes on most days. I have already made the mistake of an evening coffee once this semester and I aint doing it again! (Hopefully anyway.)

Last edited:
OK, I voted for my own picture. Every little jar up there represents months of gardening, tending, weeding, etc. Nothing feels as good as getting to the harvest with a decent crop and being able to pickle, can, freeze or store (root cellar) that food. Every week, I put up at least one batch of salsa (8-10 pints) and my wife and I tag-team them on the weekend and maybe get another batch of salsa and another little batch of chili relish in the jars. I have done this since I was 5 years old or so (50 years ago) starting with seeding, weeding, harvesting, and sliding right into processing, slicing, chopping, canning. (with all that implies). Like Dr Transport, whenever this season comes around, I think of my mother (gone over 25 years) and my grandmother (WAY before!). It's neat to look at food that you've put up, and think "next year are we going to try to remember what we did with XYZ?". I've been trying to get back to the soil for over 30 years. It's sweet! I think I've got a neighbor will weld me up a boat-rack to bolt on the back of my truck, but I might have to keep him happy with salsas. We'll have to see...

Gotta go with Turbo, reminds me of my parents cupboards. My mom just finished her salsa's and jam and whatnot canning so I am expecting a nice box full of it next time I see them. Can't wait!

good job DDMC, your picture wins in my book.

scorpa said:
Gotta go with Turbo, reminds me of my parents cupboards. My mom just finished her salsa's and jam and whatnot canning so I am expecting a nice box full of it next time I see them. Can't wait!
Hope you get some HOT green tomato salsa and maybe some hot pepper relish when you go home. It really sucks to pay for a jar of "hot" salsa to find out that you've paid for a jar of bland crap. Home-made is so much better.

turbo-1 said:
Hope you get some HOT green tomato salsa and maybe some hot pepper relish when you go home. It really sucks to pay for a jar of "hot" salsa to find out that you've paid for a jar of bland crap. Home-made is so much better.

No she decided not to make the green tomato kind :( So I guess I don't get to try it out. Doesn't make it very hot either as I am the only one in my family who likes nice hot food. But it still tastes absolutely heavenly...on chips, in spaghetti, fajitas...pretty much everything. But I do get some saskatoon jam to and crabapple jelly. Homemade food is the best...my grandma sent me some homemade perogies awhile ago...TO DIE FOR!

Thanksgiving is in just two weeks so I will definitely be coming home with quite a supply! I hope so anyway haha.

scorpa said:
No she decided not to make the green tomato kind :( So I guess I don't get to try it out. Doesn't make it very hot either as I am the only one in my family who likes nice hot food. But it still tastes absolutely heavenly...on chips, in spaghetti, fajitas...pretty much everything. But I do get some saskatoon jam to and crabapple jelly. Homemade food is the best...my grandma sent me some homemade perogies awhile ago...TO DIE FOR!
Maybe you can convert the family..."The heat" of the salsas and the tang of spiciest pickles are best enjoyed as accents to other foods. It would be hard to make a meal out of spicy dill pickles with hot peppers (see picture), but it's easy to load 2-3 slices on your plate with a cheeseburger, hot dog, etc.

Tough choice, but I had to go with turbo's cupboard of picante condiments.

Alton Brown is OK, I'm more of Graham Kerr (Galloping Gourmet) or Julia Child person myself. I used to watch Kerr along time ago. :biggrin: Julia was a great chef, but her high-pitched voice was a bit irritating.

Last edited:
You have 2 days left to vote in this contest and select a winner to win the Elton Brown DVD set.

Zz.

Oooh... a tie!
In fact, two ties!:wink:

robphy said:
Oooh... a tie!
In fact, two ties!:wink:

Yeah. And unfortunately, this time, I have to cast the tie-breaking vote for first place. I hate that you people made me have to choose which of the pictures to get first prize! I still haven't made up my mind!

Zz.

I missed this thread. You might not have had to cast a deciding vote had I seen it earlier.

1. What is the "VOTE PF Photo Contest - Food and Wine" about?

The "VOTE PF Photo Contest - Food and Wine" is a photography contest where participants can submit their best photos related to food and wine. The contest is organized by the PF (Photography Federation) and aims to showcase the beauty and artistry of food and wine through photography.

2. Who can participate in the "VOTE PF Photo Contest - Food and Wine"?

The contest is open to anyone who is interested in photography, food, and wine. Both amateur and professional photographers can participate.

3. How can I submit my photos for the "VOTE PF Photo Contest - Food and Wine"?

You can submit your photos through the PF website. There will be a submission form where you can upload your photos and provide some details about them.

4. What are the judging criteria for the "VOTE PF Photo Contest - Food and Wine"?

The photos will be judged based on creativity, composition, technical excellence, and relevance to the theme. The judges will also take into consideration the overall impact and artistic merit of the photo.

5. What are the prizes for the winners of the "VOTE PF Photo Contest - Food and Wine"?

The prizes for the winners will be announced on the PF website. It may include cash prizes, photography equipment, and the opportunity to have their photos featured in a photography magazine or exhibition.