VOTE Photo Contest - Will You Be My Valentine?

  • Thread starter Thread starter ZapperZ
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Contest Photo

VOTE PF Photo Contest - Will You Be My Valentine?

  • hypatia

    Votes: 4 11.4%
  • ZapperZ

    Votes: 3 8.6%
  • Moonbear

    Votes: 1 2.9%
  • larkspur

    Votes: 13 37.1%
  • turbo-1

    Votes: 6 17.1%
  • Astronuc

    Votes: 2 5.7%
  • SpaceTiger

    Votes: 6 17.1%

  • Total voters
    35
  • Poll closed .
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
20 replies · 4K views
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Messages
32,819
Reaction score
4,724
Another round of amazing pictures. This round of voting should be interesting.

Please vote for the picture that BEST reflect our theme: anything to do with Valentine's Day.

1. hypatia
foxyV.jpg


2. ZapperZ
img3492by1.jpg


3. Moonbear
http://img232.imageshack.us/img232/3779/valentineskissesci7.jpg

4. larkspur
390630462_a62d2564f0.jpg


5. turbo-1
http://img166.imageshack.us/img166/3/snowvalentinemu2.jpg

6. Astronuc
http://img153.imageshack.us/img153/43/valdayhotsaucewz7.jpg

7. SpaceTiger
http://www.astroskwurl.net/PF/Valentines.jpg

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=155545"

Zz.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I went with larkspur; that photo is fantastic. I thought about spacetiger's but I did not quite understand the symbolism with the box parts.
 
Very tough choice!

I'd go with Larkspur's picture for artistic quality or turbo's or hypatia's for sentimental reasons, but in the end having to choose only one - I went with turbo's Snow Valentine.
 
This is incredibly difficult! Larkspur's entry is amazing for sheer photographic quality, especially the unique choice of lighting (even if it was accidentally discovered), Zz's is so cute, turbo's is really sweet and romantic, but, I think I'm going to go with ST's entry...both for creativity, and for best exemplifying both the his and hers views of how the holiday should be best celebrated. :biggrin: :smile: If I could vote more than once, I'd give all 4 photos a vote though. This was truly a tough decision, because each is a winner for a different reason.
 
I think I have to vote for Astronuc 'cause love should be measured in Scoville units.
 
2 more days to vote in this contest. larkspur is running away with it, but it's a tight race for 2nd and 3rd place!

Zz.
 
Before giving my vote, I'd like to request an explanation by the photographer as to what the sock(?) in SpaceTigger's submission is supposed to represent, artistically speaking.

If no response is provided before the deadline, then please count my vote towards turbo.
 
Sorry, I can only count the votes that were actually cast before the deadline. I can't count those that were not, even via "proxy" like this.

Zz.
 
Newbie says Hi said:
OK.

So, is that infact a sock in his picture?
Yes, it is symbolic of ST's middle years as an out of the closet peeping Tom. This picture was taken around the time he was stocking his valentine.

<groan silencer on>
 
Gokul43201 said:
This picture was taken around the time he was stocking his valentine.
Oooooh, that one was BAD.
 
Gokul43201 said:
Yes, it is symbolic of ST's middle years as an out of the closet peeping Tom. This picture was taken around the time he was stocking his valentine.

<groan silencer on>


:smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: !
 
Aww...thanks to whomever gave me a pity vote. :smile: I wouldn't have even bothered with that entry if I knew so many better ones were going to follow after mine (I thought I might have a chance for 3rd place when there were only 3 of us in the contest :biggrin:).
 
Newbie says Hi said:
Before giving my vote, I'd like to request an explanation by the photographer as to what the sock(?) in SpaceTigger's submission is supposed to represent, artistically speaking.

If no response is provided before the deadline, then please count my vote towards turbo.

To me, the photo is depicting a contrast between the neat and comfortable commercial image of Valentine's Day and the raw animal drives that provide its foundation. However, art is not supposed to have a single interpretation. If the photo speaks to you in some way, any way, then vote for it. Otherwise, vote for one that does...or, failing that, the prettiest picture.
 
Dr Transport said:
I got a thing for snow...

I got a thing for hot sauce...
 
SpaceTiger said:
To me, the photo is depicting a contrast between the neat and comfortable commercial image of Valentine's Day and the raw animal drives that provide its foundation. However, art is not supposed to have a single interpretation. If the photo speaks to you in some way, any way, then vote for it. Otherwise, vote for one that does...or, failing that, the prettiest picture.

Nice explanation... it spoke to me :) That was pretty much what I thought, well except for the slight difference that I thought the sock represented how much valentine's day can "suck" and even "stink", contrasted to the lovely hearts and candy in the picture that women sometimes "force" guys to give them.