Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Wall Street Journal on Entanglement

1. May 7, 2009 #1

DrChinese

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yes, entanglement has gone mainstream (if it wasn't already) with an article in the 5/6/2009 Wall Street Journal on the subject:

Science, Spirituality, and Some Mismatched Socks : Researchers Turn Up Evidence of 'Spooky' Quantum Behavior and Put It to Work in Encryption and Philosophy

The article includes a quote from Nicolas Gisin, a reference to Einstein, and a not-so-accurate chart explaining how photons are entangled (leaving out the PDC crystal's role).

Meanwhile, I thought I would post a link for those who are interested in recent articles in on EPR, Bell and/or entanglement. The link below yields anything with those keywords submitted in 2009 to Cornell's preprint archives. There were 356 such articles as of this morning. :smile:

ArXiv Articles (Pre-print) with EPR, Bell or Entanglement in the Abstract or Title, 2009

This gives you a pretty good idea of the wide variety of work being done in this area. There were over a 1000 articles last year, so there is a lot out there! Please keep in mind that the preprints themselves are NOT peer-reviewed, although they are widely read - and occasionally commented on in the archives themselves.

2. jcsd
  3. May 7, 2009 #2
  4. May 7, 2009 #3

alxm

Science Advisor

I thought entanglement was weird.
    Finding out people still read WSJ after Murdoch bought it is weirder though.

5. May 7, 2009 #4

DrChinese

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

:rofl:

Guess I am guilty. Please don't hold it against me. I read Dilbert too, and sometimes it seems like real life.

6. May 7, 2009 #5
    Dear Group, since I always try to speak honestly, I feel that I should mention that Professor Eberly's discovery of the sudden death of quantum entanglement could place an important restraint not just upon quantum computation but also upon Conway and Kochen's recent mathematical physics definition of free will as the opposite of both determinism and randomness.

Of course, this will depend upon how prevalent the sudden death of quantum entanglement is in Nature.

7. May 7, 2009 #6

Matterwave

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

When the journal says this:

"The relationship persists independently of distance, making possible the near-instantaneous transmission of binary information."

It sounds like it's saying FTL communication of information is possible, but that shouldn't be the case, even in Entangled states.

8. May 7, 2009 #7

DrChinese

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Of course, being a popular account, it manages to get a few things wrong in the process. But maybe it will increase interest or awareness a bit. Never hurts.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook