1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Want to know effect of differnet material on capillary action

1. Dec 9, 2012 #1
    Hey,

I need to know the effect ( capillary rise) due to different materials on capillary action.

Also, what is the reason behind it, not so complex, just in simple language.

It will be more good if I'll get the practical and calculated values of height in capillary tube of different substances, such as water, mercury, glycerin, and 2 to 3 liquids more..

Thnx in advance, please help soon..

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 9, 2012 #2

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

4. Dec 10, 2012 #3
    Well, I also need the values of capillary rise of water, mercury and some more liquids with any standard capillary.. Can anyone provide it to me please

5. Dec 10, 2012 #4

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

The link I posted has an equation by which you can deduce it from density, contact angle and surface tension. Each of those should have values published on the net for various liquids.

6. Dec 22, 2012 #5

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Whyonlyme, please stop posting your homework in the science forums.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook