Want to know effect of differnet material on capillary action

In summary, the conversation discusses the effect of different materials on capillary action and the request for practical and calculated values of capillary rise in various substances such as water, mercury, and glycerin. The link provided suggests using an equation to calculate this based on density, contact angle, and surface tension, which can be found online. The speaker also requests for others to not post their homework on science forums.
whyonlyme
Hey,

I need to know the effect ( capillary rise) due to different materials on capillary action.

Also, what is the reason behind it, not so complex, just in simple language.

It will be more good if I'll get the practical and calculated values of height in capillary tube of different substances, such as water, mercury, glycerin, and 2 to 3 liquids more..

Thnx in advance, please help soon..

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, I also need the values of capillary rise of water, mercury and some more liquids with any standard capillary.. Can anyone provide it to me please

The link I posted has an equation by which you can deduce it from density, contact angle and surface tension. Each of those should have values published on the net for various liquids.

Whyonlyme, please stop posting your homework in the science forums.

1. What is capillary action?

Capillary action is the process by which a liquid is able to flow against gravity through a narrow space, such as a tube or porous material. This is due to the cohesive forces between the liquid molecules and the adhesive forces between the liquid and the surface of the material.

2. How does capillary action differ between materials?

The capillary action of a liquid depends on the surface tension and wetting properties of the material it is in contact with. Different materials have different surface tensions and degrees of wetting, which can affect the rate and extent of capillary action.

3. What factors influence capillary action in different materials?

The size and shape of the material, as well as the surface tension and viscosity of the liquid, can all affect capillary action. Additionally, the presence of any impurities or surface defects can also impact the capillary action of a material.

4. How can the effect of different materials on capillary action be measured?

The rate and extent of capillary action can be measured by observing the height of the liquid in a capillary tube or the amount of liquid absorbed by a material over time. Surface tension and contact angle measurements can also provide insight into the interactions between the liquid and the material.

5. Why is understanding the effect of different materials on capillary action important?

Capillary action plays a crucial role in many natural and industrial processes, such as plant water uptake, inkjet printing, and oil recovery. Understanding how different materials influence capillary action can help us optimize these processes and develop new technologies.