Want to Learn Calculus Early? Check Out This Classic Book!

In summary: Calculus: The Language of Science' that covers limits, derivatives, integrals, and more.-If you're looking for a more rigorous introduction to calculus, I highly recommend the book 'Calculus: Early Transcendentals' by James Stewart and Keith Devlin.-If you're looking for a more modern, online-based introduction to calculus, I recommend the Coursera Calculus One course taught by Jim Fowler from Ohio State.
ChrisisC
I'm a 10th grade student in the United States and currently taking geometry which is a breeze, and if anyone else reading this is in the U.S. you know that 10th graders haven't reached calculus yet, not even physics. Since i know I'm going into quantum physics, i have thirst to learn calculus before i actually enter the class in the next 2 years. I am not looking to master it by any means, but i really need a online program or a book that can introduce me to basic concepts of calculus. If anyone can give me some resources that aren't way to difficult i would appreciate it greatly!
thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
ChrisisC said:
free?

Yessir. Coursera often offers certificates that you can pay for, but offers the course material for free.

The calculus courses came too late to be of use to me, but I've taken some stats courses and they've been terrific.

dkotschessaa said:
Yessir. Coursera often offers certificates that you can pay for, but offers the course material for free.

The calculus courses came too late to be of use to me, but I've taken some stats courses and they've been terrific.

thanks a lot!

Likes dkotschessaa
Even though it was first published 107 years ago, Sylvanus Thompson's 'Calculus Made Easy' remains one of the best introductions to the subject. And it's in the public domain, so no worries about downloading it from the web.

I've mentored several students who have done the Coursera Calculus One with Jim Fowler from Ohio State. It's a good course. Not as rigorous as an accredited College Calculus course, but it will get you started. Free.

MrRobotoToo said:
Even though it was first published 107 years ago, Sylvanus Thompson's 'Calculus Made Easy' remains one of the best introductions to the subject. And it's in the public domain, so no worries about downloading it from the web.

I loved this book, although I did not realize at the time that it teaches a somewhat dated method for taking derivatives and such, and doesn't cover limits. I think it would be of practical use for someone that needs calculus to do some physics. Feynman allegedly learned from it.

I read it more as prose, because I love the way it is written.

-Dave K

1. What is Calculus?

Calculus is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of continuous change and motion. It is used to analyze and understand concepts such as rates of change, accumulation, and optimization.

2. Why is Calculus important?

Calculus is important because it provides powerful tools for solving real-world problems. It is used in various fields such as physics, engineering, economics, and statistics to model and analyze complex systems.

3. What are the two main branches of Calculus?

The two main branches of Calculus are Differential Calculus and Integral Calculus. Differential Calculus deals with the study of rates of change and slopes of curves, while Integral Calculus deals with the study of accumulation and areas under curves.

4. How can Calculus be applied in everyday life?

Calculus has numerous applications in everyday life, such as predicting population growth, optimizing business profits, designing buildings and bridges, and understanding the spread of diseases. It is also used in fields like astronomy, computer science, and medicine.

5. Is Calculus difficult to learn?

Like any other subject, learning Calculus can be challenging, but with dedication and practice, it can be mastered. It is important to have a strong foundation in algebra and trigonometry before delving into Calculus. Seeking help from teachers or tutors can also make the learning process easier.