Want to Work on Plasma Propulsion

In summary, people think you'll need a Ph.D. in Physics to work on ion-based propulsion systems. You might be able to get a degree in aerospace engineering and then do a masters in physics.
CJSGrailKnigh
Okay so here is my question. I want to work on ion based propulsion in particular plasma propulsion. I'm currently finishing off a degree in Space Systems Eng. and I'm wondering where I should go from there. I would think that a second degree in physics, chemistry or electrical engineering would round out my background for that but there is always going for my space engineering masters.

What do people think about this?

Thank you in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think you'll need a Ph.D Physics to do that. Maybe. I just know plasma physics is quite advanced and so are ion-based propulsion systems.

Hmmm well I don't know how in depth we will go but we're looking at them now in Spacecraft Design I. I find the idea fascinating. I know that I'll be taking a nuclear engineering course in fourth year because for some reason i get this warm fuzzy feeling about strapping a laser to a small fission reactor to power something beyond the oort cloud (sorry might be a mad scientist(engineer)).

Anyone else have an idea of what I should take? I know that with a degree in engineering in Canada I can do a masters of physics if I have a high GPA.

If you're considering a second degree, don't consider Chemistry for plasma propulsion. It's tangentially related but not so much that you should go out of your way for it. You'd probably gain a lot more from electrical engineering or upper level coursework in chemical physics.

Thanks for the advice DDTea and Shackleford.

From what I can tell on Chem Phys programs in Canada. I would have probably the first two years of course work from my SS Eng. I could do the EE but from what I can tell my University seems to focus more on digital electronics and computer elec. eng rather than the lasers and other such electronics that would be pertinent.

So general question what does anyone know of Chem Phys and EE programs in Canada (preferably Ontario). And in specific do any of the Chem Phys Programs have research going on in plasma reactions?

I would go for an aerospace engineering degree instead of physics or chemistry or electrical engineering. MIT, for instance, has a great Masters track for plasma-based propulsion design. It's where I'd like to go when I'm done with my aero undergrad. Good luck! We might end up working together one day.

Haha maybe but I can hardly afford a Canadian University as a Canadian citizen. Unless I got a ride from them I doubt I would be able to afford MIT as a foreign student. So from what people are saying my best bet is chem phys, phys, EE, masters of Aero at MIT, or i just saw the ISU in France has some cool propulsion masters programs.

I was idly searching for more plasma propulsion programs, and I came across Princeton's. You might also look there. Don't despair about the costs of engineering masters degrees. The rule I heard was, if you have to pay for engineering grad school, you shouldn't be in engineering grad school.

1. What is plasma propulsion?

Plasma propulsion is a method of spacecraft propulsion that uses ionized gas (plasma) as a propellant. It works by accelerating the plasma using electromagnetic fields to generate thrust.

2. How does plasma propulsion differ from traditional rocket engines?

Unlike traditional rocket engines that use chemical reactions for thrust, plasma propulsion uses electricity to ionize gas and create thrust. This results in much higher exhaust velocities and more efficient use of propellant.

3. What are the advantages of using plasma propulsion?

Plasma propulsion offers several advantages over traditional rocket engines, including higher exhaust velocities, lower propellant consumption, and longer operational lifetimes. It also has the potential to significantly reduce travel time for spacecraft.

4. What are the challenges involved in working on plasma propulsion?

One of the main challenges in developing plasma propulsion is the need for high levels of power and efficiency to generate the necessary thrust. Other challenges include managing the high temperatures and potential erosion of materials in the thruster.

5. How can I get involved in working on plasma propulsion?

If you are interested in working on plasma propulsion, you can pursue a degree in aerospace engineering or a related field. You can also join a research team or company that specializes in developing plasma propulsion technology.