I want to work in a space agency Which path should I choose?

In summary, the speaker is a physics undergraduate student who is excited to focus on their interest in astronomy. They plan on pursuing a Master's degree in the National Observatory in Colombia and are also considering applying to universities in Canada. They are seeking advice on which path to choose for their Master's and PhD, mentioning options such as Cosmology, Stellar Evolution, Celestial Mechanics, AGN's, and Quantum Black Holes. They are hoping to work outside of academia, potentially in a space agency. The speaker is advised to consider careers such as Mechanical Engineer, Electrical Engineer, Aerospace Engineer, Chemist, Physicist, etc. as these fields are all relevant to space exploration. The speaker personally chose physics because it encompasses many fields and
EsPg
Hello everybody!

I'm currently in the last year of my undergraduate studies in physics and I'm really happy because I'm finally having the chance to focus on what I like, Astronomy.

Next year I'll be starting a Master Degree in the National Observatory here in Colombia but I'm also planning on applying to some universities in Canada. My question comes here, I have to choose a path (main topic) to follow in the Ms and PhD but I don't want something too theoretical because I want to have the chance to work at some point out of the academic area and hopefully in a space agency.

The common options here are Cosmology, Stellar evolution, Celestial Mechanics, AGN's, Quantum Black Holes.

So, ¿Do you think any of these would allow me? If not, ¿which topic do you recommend?

Thank you very much!

Physics news on Phys.org
Well the answer is many friend. I asked a lot of questions like that in this forums, that i got 8 point infractions.

Well back to your question(wich i also asked)

You may works as

-Mechanical Engineer
-Electrical Engineer
-Aerospace Engineer
-Chemist
-Physicist
-etc, etc.

Imagine a Ship. The ship needs mechanical parts, needs guidance systems, comunications systems, computers, chemistry and solid state for its components.
In resume you can go with those kind of careers.

Personally i choosed Physics becouse it encompases many fields and i like physics(obviusly xD) and math.

Well ill give you this link to a video of a guy working in NASA building robots for space exploration, and he says his career:

PS:Sorry for my english is not the best.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oops i only readed the name of the thread. By the things you say man you should go for physics, i think the name of the field will be astrophysics.

1. What education or degree do I need to work in a space agency?

To work in a space agency, you will typically need a degree in a relevant field such as physics, engineering, or computer science. It is also helpful to have a graduate degree or specialized training in a specific area of aerospace such as astrophysics or aerospace engineering.

2. What skills are important for a career in a space agency?

Some important skills for a career in a space agency include a strong understanding of math and science, critical thinking and problem-solving abilities, attention to detail, and the ability to work well in a team. Additionally, communication and technical skills are essential for working with complex equipment and collaborating with others on projects.

3. Are internships or co-op programs beneficial for a career in a space agency?

Yes, internships and co-op programs are highly beneficial for a career in a space agency. They provide hands-on experience and the opportunity to learn from professionals in the field. These programs can also help you make valuable connections and gain a better understanding of the industry.

4. What are some different career paths within a space agency?

There are a variety of career paths within a space agency, including engineering, research and development, operations, mission control, and program management. Each of these paths may also have different specialties, such as aerospace engineering, astrophysics, or satellite operations.

5. How can I gain experience and make myself stand out for a job in a space agency?

To gain experience and make yourself stand out for a job in a space agency, consider participating in relevant extracurricular activities, such as joining a rocketry club or participating in a research project related to space. Additionally, seeking out internships and co-op programs, and staying up-to-date on industry developments and advancements can also make you a more competitive candidate.