Warning for citing book and paper by Einstein

• Thread starter harrylin
  • Start date
In summary, the moderator warned me for providing links to papers that were considered to be of high quality, but the warning was immediately reversed because it was a mistake.
harrylin
To my great astonishment I just received a warning for providing links to a book and a peer-reviewed paper by Einstein, one put online by Bartelby.com and the other by Wikisource.org.

The first is a link to his 1916 book explaining Relativity in easy to understand language, while the second is a link to the text of his foundational paper on GRT, also of 1916.
Usually I provide a link to a pdf version of the paper, but it's a very sizable download; a text version appeared therefore more appropriate to me.

The warning was:

"General Warning
Unless you have a valid, peer-reviewed source, please do not cite something off a webpage."

Can anyone here explain to me why I should get an official warning for providing links to such quality papers? I'm flabbergasted.

Harald

Physics news on Phys.org
You don't have any infractions or warnings. A warning was given and almost immediately reversed because it was a mistake, If you look at your infracations, you'll see zero.

The rules state that if you have a question about moderation, you should contact the mentor involved via PM. You should not start a thread about it unless you have exhausted appeals.

Evo said:
You don't have any infractions or warnings. A warning was given and almost immediately reversed because it was a mistake, If you look at your infracations, you'll see zero.

The rules state that if you have a question about moderation, you should contact the mentor involved via PM. You should not start a thread about it unless you have exhausted appeals.

Thank you - in fact I also did that. And now indeed I see the little note "reversed" - thanks for clarifying that. :smile:

I also found the explanation that anyway warnings carry zero points. But where is anything written about "appeals"? I'm afraid that I still don't fully understand how moderation here works...

There's no such thing as an appeal. You can discuss why you receive it and complain to others if you feel it's unjust.

Do as the mentors say and understand they have full discretion on moderation. The rules outline what issues are moderated.

Pretty much it.

I do think that you can do a form of appeal. Send a mail to the mentors and explain why it's unjust. Sometimes the infraction will be lifted...

micromass said:
I do think that you can do a form of appeal. Send a mail to the mentors and explain why it's unjust. Sometimes the infraction will be lifted...

But only if you're polite to said mentor. Calling them "defenders of the orthodoxy" isn't a good idea.

1. What is the purpose of a "Warning for citing book and paper by Einstein"?

The purpose of this warning is to inform readers that the source being cited is written by Albert Einstein, a well-known and influential scientist. This serves as a reminder to properly credit and acknowledge the original author when using their work in research or writing.

2. Is it necessary to include this warning in my citations?

While it is not required, including this warning can add credibility to your work by acknowledging the source's author and their expertise in the subject matter. It also serves as a reminder to properly cite the source and avoid plagiarism.

3. Can I use this warning for any book or paper written by Einstein?

Yes, this warning can be used for any book or paper written by Albert Einstein, regardless of the subject matter. It is meant to acknowledge the author and their contribution to science and should be included in all citations of their work.

4. What is the proper format for including this warning in a citation?

The warning should be included in parentheses after the author's name and before the title of the book or paper. It can be written as "Warning for citing book and paper by Einstein" or simply "Einstein Warning".

5. Is this warning only relevant for scientific papers?

No, this warning is relevant for any type of paper or research that cites a book or paper written by Einstein. While Einstein is most well-known for his contributions to science, he also wrote on a variety of subjects, making this warning applicable to a wide range of disciplines.