Was Steve Jobs' Death Overshadowed by Silence on Ritchie's Passing?
- Thread starter lisab
- Start date
-
- Tags
- Jobs
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
92 replies · 15K views
Physics news on Phys.org
Discussion
zoobyshoe
- 6,514
- 1,255
Wow. End of an era!
Admin
- 69,786
- 25,637
- 22,170
- 3,335
Rest in peace, mister Jobs... 
Evo
Staff Emeritus
- 24,114
- 3,277
It's sad but no surprise.
rootX
- 481
- 4
I was joking this morning about how apple will die once Steve Jobs is dead referring to lack of excitement in their recent product launch. kinda of ironic ...
Pengwuino
Gold Member
- 5,112
- 20
Wow... unbelievable.
rhody
Gold Member
- 680
- 3
Wow, just heard and LisaB beat me to it by fifteen minutes, so sad, I am glad I wasn't the one to break the news, my wife heard it through FacePlant and I just checked the news. Pancreatic cancer really really sucks, my prayers are with his wife, Laurene, their four children and his close friends.
Rhody...
Rhody...
Ivan92
- 201
- 3
His contributions to this world will not be forgotten! It is sad to see such an amazing mind go away! Rest in peace Steve Jobs.
DaveC426913
Gold Member
2025 Award
- 24,697
- 9,101
My fault.
I was just about to go out and buy a Mac.
I was just about to go out and buy a Mac.
Jimmy Snyder
- 1,137
- 22
Insanely bad news.
Evo
Staff Emeritus
- 24,114
- 3,277
I'm surprised that so many people are surprised by his death since it was well known that he had been battling cancer and was reported to have been losing the battle. When he named his successor, it was bad news.
Jimmy Snyder
- 1,137
- 22
I don't keep up with these things. I just recently heard the Apple II is out.Evo said:I'm surprised that so many people are surprised by his death since it was well known that he had been battling cancer and was reported to have been losing the battle. When he named his successor, it was bad news.
- 22,170
- 3,335
Evo said:I'm surprised that so many people are surprised by his death since it was well known that he had been battling cancer and was reported to have been losing the battle. When he named his successor, it was bad news.
I never knew this
Proton Soup
- 225
- 1
i'm not surprised at all. there's a photo circulating of him looking like a concentration camp victim with a guy helping him stand. i guess some people may have an idea that if you're rich enough, you can buy whatever medical assistance you need to keep going. but unfortunately, we're just nowhere near that advanced yet.
- 20,002
- 11,121
It's no surprise, but still hit me like a ton of bricks! The tech world (and entire world) will surely miss Steve! I hope someone starts a cancer foundation in his name.
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
2025 Award
- 22,714
- 7,806
There are several foundations devoted to pancreatic cancer research, treatment and support.
http://www.lustgarten.org/
Hirshberg Foundation for Pancreatic Cancer Research
http://www.pancreatic.org/
National Pancreatic Cancer Foundation
http://pancreaticcancerfoundation.com/
No endorsement expressed or implied. I have not checked them out.
http://www.lustgarten.org/
Hirshberg Foundation for Pancreatic Cancer Research
http://www.pancreatic.org/
National Pancreatic Cancer Foundation
http://pancreaticcancerfoundation.com/
No endorsement expressed or implied. I have not checked them out.
Kevin_Axion
- 912
- 3
Not only was Steve Jobs a key component in the founding of Apple but also Pixar. Both Pixar and Apple have had such acts of brilliance in the last decade that will never be forgotten. He was a genius who will live on in this generation and the next.
Willowz
- 197
- 1
The whole time I thought he was winning with it like Armstrong.Evo said:I'm surprised that so many people are surprised by his death since it was well known that he had been battling cancer and was reported to have been losing the battle. When he named his successor, it was bad news.
flyingpig
- 2,574
- 1
Evo said:It's sad but no surprise.
Why? He is 56...
WhoWee
- 219
- 0
Very sad - RIP Steve.
I still have my Mac SE in storage - runs great - wish I'd kept my NeXT "laptop".
I still have my Mac SE in storage - runs great - wish I'd kept my NeXT "laptop".
Evo
Staff Emeritus
- 24,114
- 3,277
Because he had terminal cancer.flyingpig said:Why? He is 56...
Cuauhtemoc
- 65
- 0
flyingpig said:Why? He is 56...
Because he had pancreatic cancer, one of the most lethal varieties of cancer.
About 80% of people with this kind of cancer die.
Science Advisor
Gold Member
- 5,850
- 554
Man I can't imagine life without the things he invented.
- 19,385
- 15,622
Yeah, I knew that his love for Apple would never let him relinquish the reins unless he knew he wouldn't be back, so when the announcement came that he was out of there, I was afraid the end was near for him.
Very sad indeed for such a great talent to go so young.
I've always felt that through the years Bill Gates was all about how much money he could make (and was brilliant at it) and Jobs was all about what outstanding products he could create (and was brilliant at it).
I was enormously happy when Apple surpassed Microsoft in money making, to go along with the fact that it had always been miles ahead in its products.
Cheers Steve, you had a hell of a run ...
Very sad indeed for such a great talent to go so young.
I've always felt that through the years Bill Gates was all about how much money he could make (and was brilliant at it) and Jobs was all about what outstanding products he could create (and was brilliant at it).
I was enormously happy when Apple surpassed Microsoft in money making, to go along with the fact that it had always been miles ahead in its products.
Cheers Steve, you had a hell of a run ...
Topher925
- 1,563
- 7
Jimmy Snyder said:I don't keep up with these things. I just recently heard the Apple II is out.
I know this probably somewhat inhumane of me but I couldn't help lol-ing at that comment.