Was there ever a time in your life when you didn't want anything?

• Thread starter OAQfirst
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Life Time
In summary: I bought was electronic, like gadgets and phones. But now I'm growing out of that phase, and I actually want knowledge again. I think it's because I've matured a bit.
OAQfirst
I've been this way for several months now. A year ago, I'd have splurged my money on everything. Mostly electronics and science gadgets. Now the only thing I really want, and barely, is knowledge. My money is starting to build up more than I've ever had before. Which I can put away for the following semesters.

Have you ever felt anything like this? Any idea what it might be about?

Physics news on Phys.org
I only buy things that I use daily. I'd say most of my money is spent on food these days. I like to eat out with my friends on the weekends, and that's where most of my money get lost. The rest gets lost in gasoline and lunch.

Last semester I spent my money on clothing. But now that I have most of what I need, I don't expect to buy much new clothing for a few years, unless I see something I really like every once in a while.

OAQfirst said:
I've been this way for several months now. A year ago, I'd have splurged my money on everything. Mostly electronics and science gadgets. Now the only thing I really want, and barely, is knowledge. My money is starting to build up more than I've ever had before. Which I can put away for the following semesters.

You really don't need to spend that much money to acquire knowledge. Heck, if you have a good job now why bother spending money on college when all the information you ever wanted to know about anything and everything is on the internet? If you like gaining knowledge from books, then go to a college library and pay the 50 dollar a month fee to check about books from a college library.

Are you tired of spending your money on material things you used to like? Buying electronics and science gadgets doesn't excite you any more ?

pblackt. I wish. I always need something and if its not me then the wife or kids do. Just spent 750 bucks yesterday om a new garmin 850 gps. I love it! I also need front tires for the truck, Kids need clothes, still paying off the wifes tuition, bla bla bla It never ends.

@Benzoate:

I look at getting a degree as more a self-preservation plan. It's healthy and means I'll have more job opportunities in possible dire times. Plus, I'm rather enjoying classes. Anyway, I have hundreds of books here and I still go to my school's library. So, yeah.

About the only thing that excites me now is discovery. While I continue my studies, it's wonderful when I finally understand new concepts. I never though economics would be so fascinating. And world history.

It's a strange feeling for me. I was just wondering if it's my age or what. If it's typical for others.

OAQfirst said:
@Benzoate:

I look at getting a degree as more a self-preservation plan. It's healthy and means I'll have more job opportunities in possible dire times. Plus, I'm rather enjoying classes. Anyway, I have hundreds of books here and I still go to my school's library. So, yeah.

About the only thing that excites me now is discovery. While I continue my studies, it's wonderful when I finally understand new concepts. I never though economics would be so fascinating. And world history.

It's a strange feeling for me. I was just wondering if it's my age or what. If it's typical for others.

You need to get your life in gear , it's desire that provides direction for our lives without it your life is going to really slowly and it is going to influence your cognition also ...

it's not a big deal if you don't want to spend any money , you are in school it's normal.

OAQfirst said:

These days all I am caring is having a pair of clean socks.

OAQfirst said:

Its called growing up. I've been the same way for a year or so now. I actually went through a phase wear I sold about 40% of my crap on the internet just so I would have less of it. I think you have just come to a point where you realize that material possessions don't really matter and you need something greater to make you happy.

I only spend my money on food and bills now and don't really want anything material anymore. I sure wish I could find a girlfriend though.

Theres a few things I'd like to get, but beyond that I'm pretty good.

Intangibles (love) are a different matter.

Topher925 said:
Its called growing up. I've been the same way for a year or so now. I actually went through a phase wear I sold about 40% of my crap on the internet just so I would have less of it. I think you have just come to a point where you realize that material possessions don't really matter and you need something greater to make you happy.

I only spend my money on food and bills now and don't really want anything material anymore. I sure wish I could find a girlfriend though.

Wow, we all are on same boat! :biggrin:

I also wished I had a girlfriend so that I could spend my surplus money.

But, now I am just saving money making sure that in the beginning of 4th year, I can go and work in some other country for few months.

rootX said:
Wow, we all are on same boat! :biggrin:

I also wished I had a girlfriend so that I could spend my surplus money.

But, now I am just saving money making sure that in the beginning of 4th year, I can go and work in some other country for few months.

You're going to date a hooker?

Cyrus said:
You're going to date a hooker?

I have given up that idea.

I tried to become Buddhist monk but it didn't work out. And it is hard to live life without goals/desires.Girlfriend idea wasn't good either. So, I decided that I should go to some other country. And now, I have some goals and I am happier.

Good point guys ... OAQfirst , if you are concerned about not having any where to spend your money just get a girlfriend , there are plenty out there that really want to meet you and your money.

1. What is the significance of not wanting anything in one's life as a scientist?

As a scientist, the concept of not wanting anything in one's life can be examined through the lens of motivation and curiosity. It is natural for a scientist to have a constant drive and desire to learn and discover new things. However, there may be times when a scientist may feel content with their current knowledge and not actively seek out new information or challenges.

2. How does the desire for wanting nothing align with the pursuit of scientific knowledge?

The pursuit of scientific knowledge is a complex and multifaceted process that requires dedication, passion, and curiosity. While it may seem contradictory to not want anything in one's life as a scientist, there are times when taking a step back and allowing the mind to rest can actually lead to new ideas and breakthroughs. It is important for scientists to find a balance between wanting and not wanting, as both states can contribute to the advancement of scientific knowledge.

3. Can wanting nothing impact a scientist's productivity?

Wanting nothing in one's life as a scientist may temporarily decrease productivity, as the mind may need time to recharge and refocus. However, this state of not wanting can also allow for reflection and introspection, which can ultimately lead to increased productivity and creativity. It is important for scientists to listen to their own needs and find a balance between productivity and taking breaks.

4. Is it possible for a scientist to truly not want anything in their life?

As humans, we are constantly driven by various desires and needs. Therefore, it may be difficult for a scientist to completely eliminate the desire for wanting anything in their life. However, it is possible for a scientist to reach a state of contentment and satisfaction with their current knowledge and achievements. This can lead to a sense of peace and balance in one's life, which can positively impact their work as a scientist.

5. How can wanting nothing benefit a scientist's mental and emotional well-being?

As a scientist, the pursuit of knowledge and discoveries can be mentally and emotionally taxing. Taking breaks and finding a state of not wanting can help alleviate stress and burnout. It can also allow for a better understanding of one's own motivations and goals, leading to a healthier and more fulfilling life as a scientist.