1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Wasan, and the development of Analysis in Japan

1. Jul 17, 2012 #1
    I am writing an article on the development of Japanese mathematics during Japan's Sakoku, (closed from the world) period.
    While going through a book (http://2020ok.com/books/42/a-history-of-japanese-mathematics-41542.htm), I came to know about how Seki Kowa, and then later Takebe, developed what is known as the Yenri, (Circle Principle). I would be extremely glad if some people would give me more inputs on Yenri that what is there in the book.
    As far as I can tell, Yenri uses Archimedes' method of determining the value of pi by polygonal methods, and by converging fractions series.

Please look at the pages 97-100, and 108 to 112.

Surely, certain equations given there must have some logical derivations!!

Please tell me what more to add, as this is a technical article, and I don't want to mess up historical facts.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 17, 2012 #2

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Looks to me that page 78 gives the earliest derivation of pi in the book (using Archimedes' method, as you say). Pp 97-100 use it rather than derive it. The derivation of 22/7 on p 111 is purely heuristic, depending on the already determined (approximate) value. I didn't notice any power series forms, but I haven't looked very hard.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook