Wasan, and the development of Analysis in Japan

  • Level: Graduate 
  • Thread starter Thread starter EndanRinkaro
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Analysis Japan
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
EndanRinkaro
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
I am writing an article on the development of Japanese mathematics during Japan's Sakoku, (closed from the world) period.
While going through a book (http://2020ok.com/books/42/a-history-of-japanese-mathematics-41542.htm), I came to know about how Seki Kowa, and then later Takebe, developed what is known as the Yenri, (Circle Principle). I would be extremely glad if some people would give me more inputs on Yenri that what is there in the book.
As far as I can tell, Yenri uses Archimedes' method of determining the value of pi by polygonal methods, and by converging fractions series.

Please look at the pages 97-100, and 108 to 112.

Surely, certain equations given there must have some logical derivations!

Please tell me what more to add, as this is a technical article, and I don't want to mess up historical facts.
 
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Looks to me that page 78 gives the earliest derivation of pi in the book (using Archimedes' method, as you say). Pp 97-100 use it rather than derive it. The derivation of 22/7 on p 111 is purely heuristic, depending on the already determined (approximate) value. I didn't notice any power series forms, but I haven't looked very hard.