1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I couldn't find books in English for learning mathematics and physics

1. May 9, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I'm a student of a correspondance university in Japan. I want to learn physics and mathematics in English,but I can't find which books are suitable to study from very basic mathematics and Physics.
    "Very basic", I mentioned, means on a level like pupils at school in the U.K. or the U.S. etc.
    I study a little mathematics and physics in Japanese, but it`s no so high level and it`s difficult for me to understand because of difficult `kanji`. So, I think it`s a good way to study them in English. Please tell me how to find good textbooks or recommnded textbook for learning matematics and physics.

2. Relevant equations
    I`m very sorry, but I can`t understand what I should write on this space.

3. The attempt at a solution
    I searched books by Inter Net. I used amazon site or directly using search engine like google.But, I couldn`t find any books I want. Perhaps, I can't understand how other countries people learn these subjects. So, if I could I want to know steps to reach college level skills of mathematics and physics. Maybe this question is too obscure, but really want to study mathematics and physics in English and understand this world further. I'll be vary glad to answer me.

Last edited by a moderator: May 9, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. May 9, 2013 #2
    Do you think it's too advanced an introductory but complete "Physics for scientists and engineers " and for math, my advice is a book from James Stewart named "Precalculus " and later "calculus"

4. May 9, 2013 #3

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

A very basic (but very good) book is "Algebra" by Gelfand. He has other books on trigonometry and geometry that are worth reading. He also has very advanced math books, so be sure not to get those yet.

5. May 9, 2013 #4
    thank you for answering me

Thank you for replying. How much level is "Algebla"by Gelfand? For high school student or even yonger student? I might the name of author of the book. Some of his books might be translated in Japanese. However, I want to know about English textbooks, so thank you for telling me about the book.
    By the way I want to know what kind of textbooks for learning mathematics and physics are used by from elementary school to highschool students in the U.S. or from keystage1-4 to even higher level students in the U.K. or other countries.
    If I want to understand mathematics and physics thoroughly, I think I should learn from early education in English,because I was taught almost all subject in Japanese. Is this idea correct?

6. May 9, 2013 #5

Borek

Staff: Mentor

Shouldn't matter what language you learn math in, it is ideas that count, not how you call them, and ideas are always the same. Sure, you will need familiarity with the language used, but in my experience it is a matter of learning specific meanings of words you will most likely already know from English, and learning specific names of objects mathematicians use - so it is not different from learning English as a second language.

7. May 10, 2013 #6
    1. Mathematics.

First, try to solve diagnostic test in "Calculus" by James Stewart (https://www.amazon.com/Calculus-James-Stewart/dp/0538497815). You will find useful material for learning some basic stuff. If you can solve all of the questions, You can continue learning mathematics with this book.

Second, If you need to learn high school mathematics, try to read "Maths: A Student's Survival Guide: A Self-Help Workbook for Science and Engineering Students" by Jenny Olive (https://www.amazon.com/Maths-Students-Survival-Self-Help-Engineering/dp/0521017076)

2. Physics

I don't have any idea about any basic books about physics. Try to learn first year collage physics book such

Serway & Jewet - Physics for scientist and Engineers with Modern Physics

Tipler & Mosca - Physics for Scientist and Engineers

or

Fundamentals of Physics Extended by David Halliday et al.

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook