I couldn't find books in English for learning mathematics and physics

In summary, if you are looking for basic textbooks to learn mathematics and physics in English, "Calculus" by James Stewart and "Maths: A Student's Survival Guide" by Jenny Olive are recommended for mathematics, while "Physics for Scientists and Engineers" by Serway & Jewett, "Physics for Scientists and Engineers" by Tipler & Mosca, and "Fundamentals of Physics Extended" by David Halliday et al. are recommended for physics. Learning these subjects in English may be helpful in understanding them thoroughly.
superduck

Homework Statement

I'm a student of a correspondance university in Japan. I want to learn physics and mathematics in English,but I can't find which books are suitable to study from very basic mathematics and Physics.
"Very basic", I mentioned, means on a level like pupils at school in the U.K. or the U.S. etc.
I study a little mathematics and physics in Japanese, but it`s no so high level and it`s difficult for me to understand because of difficult `kanji`. So, I think it`s a good way to study them in English. Please tell me how to find good textbooks or recommnded textbook for learning matematics and physics.

Homework Equations

I`m very sorry, but I can`t understand what I should write on this space.

The Attempt at a Solution

I searched books by Inter Net. I used amazon site or directly using search engine like google.But, I couldn`t find any books I want. Perhaps, I can't understand how other countries people learn these subjects. So, if I could I want to know steps to reach college level skills of mathematics and physics. Maybe this question is too obscure, but really want to study mathematics and physics in English and understand this world further. I'll be vary glad to answer me.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Do you think it's too advanced an introductory but complete "Physics for scientists and engineers " and for math, my advice is a book from James Stewart named "Precalculus " and later "calculus"

A very basic (but very good) book is "Algebra" by Gelfand. He has other books on trigonometry and geometry that are worth reading. He also has very advanced math books, so be sure not to get those yet.

thank you for answering me

Thank you for replying. How much level is "Algebla"by Gelfand? For high school student or even yonger student? I might the name of author of the book. Some of his books might be translated in Japanese. However, I want to know about English textbooks, so thank you for telling me about the book.
By the way I want to know what kind of textbooks for learning mathematics and physics are used by from elementary school to high school students in the U.S. or from keystage1-4 to even higher level students in the U.K. or other countries.
If I want to understand mathematics and physics thoroughly, I think I should learn from early education in English,because I was taught almost all subject in Japanese. Is this idea correct?

Shouldn't matter what language you learn math in, it is ideas that count, not how you call them, and ideas are always the same. Sure, you will need familiarity with the language used, but in my experience it is a matter of learning specific meanings of words you will most likely already know from English, and learning specific names of objects mathematicians use - so it is not different from learning English as a second language.

superduck said:

Homework Statement

I'm a student of a correspondence university in Japan. I want to learn physics and mathematics in English,but I can't find which books are suitable to study from very basic mathematics and Physics.

1. Mathematics.

First, try to solve diagnostic test in "Calculus" by James Stewart (https://www.amazon.com/dp/0538497815/?tag=pfamazon01-20). You will find useful material for learning some basic stuff. If you can solve all of the questions, You can continue learning mathematics with this book.

Second, If you need to learn high school mathematics, try to read "Maths: A Student's Survival Guide: A Self-Help Workbook for Science and Engineering Students" by Jenny Olive (https://www.amazon.com/dp/0521017076/?tag=pfamazon01-20)

2. Physics

I don't have any idea about any basic books about physics. Try to learn first year collage physics book such

Serway & Jewet - Physics for scientist and Engineers with Modern Physics

Tipler & Mosca - Physics for Scientist and Engineers

or

Fundamentals of Physics Extended by David Halliday et al.

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to I couldn't find books in English for learning mathematics and physics

1. How can I find books in English for learning mathematics and physics?

There are several ways to find books in English for learning mathematics and physics. One option is to search online on websites such as Amazon, Barnes and Noble, or Google Books. You can also visit your local library or bookstore and ask for recommendations from the staff. Additionally, you can ask for suggestions from your teachers or fellow students who have experience with learning these subjects in English.

2. Why is it important to learn mathematics and physics in English?

Learning mathematics and physics in English can be beneficial for several reasons. It allows you to access a wider range of resources and materials, as there are many textbooks and online resources available in English. It also helps improve your language skills, as you will be exposed to technical and scientific vocabulary. Furthermore, many scientific research and publications are written in English, so it is important to have a strong understanding of the language in these fields.

3. Are there any specific books or authors you would recommend for learning mathematics and physics in English?

There are many great books and authors for learning mathematics and physics in English. Some popular choices include "The Feynman Lectures on Physics" by Richard Feynman, "Mathematics: From the Birth of Numbers" by Jan Gullberg, and "The Princeton Companion to Mathematics" edited by Timothy Gowers. It is best to do some research and read reviews to find the books that best fit your learning style and level.

4. Are there any online resources for learning mathematics and physics in English?

Yes, there are many online resources available for learning mathematics and physics in English. Some popular websites include Khan Academy, Coursera, and edX. These platforms offer a variety of courses and tutorials taught by experts in the field. There are also many YouTube channels and online forums dedicated to teaching mathematics and physics in English.

5. How can I improve my understanding of mathematics and physics if I am not fluent in English?

If you are not fluent in English, there are still ways to improve your understanding of mathematics and physics. One option is to find textbooks or online resources that offer translations or explanations in your native language. You can also seek help from a tutor or join a study group with other students who are also learning in English. Additionally, practicing and reviewing the material regularly can also help improve your understanding over time.